Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alternatives to Martin D28?

What's Hot
I have a LAG J200 copy that punches far far above its weight, but recently I’ve been dabbling with bluegrass and it’s limitations are showing up, both in sound and playability. Obviously I’d like a D28 but finances don’t allow, so what are the alternatives? Anything from budget guitar for a better bluegrass vibe, up to around £1k?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Have a look at the Eastman range, the E8D for example :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I once tried a couple of Blueridge dreadnoughts and they were surprisingly good for the price. Maybe worth trying if you can. Hobgoblin and others stock them.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    Blueridge is a popular budget brand among bluegrassers. I’m not too familiar with the brand but you see a lot of them in the picking sessions around bluegrass festivals. 
  • Mellish said:
    Have a look at the Eastman range, the E8D for example :) 
    There's one for sale in the forum here for an excellent price.
  • Eastman dreadnoughts are definitely worth considering. I'd add Furch too, if you can find one within budget. I have an Auden Colton, which is excellent for the money - equal to the Martin I put it up against and significantly cheaper. There are many great brands out there with less prestige than Martin, which will get you close sound wise. Not knocking Martin, I love them, but I've been genuinely impressed by how good some cheaper brands can be. Before lockdown, I played a Sigma dreadnought that was as good as the majority of Martins in the same shop. Not sure if it was a one-off - other Sigmas were less impressive - but this one was really special. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5418
    D-28 is a hard one to substitute for. The other top makers tend to aim for something a bit different, more distinctively their own, or (in the case of some of the smaller ones) go for what they think the D-28 ought to be assuming budget isn't an issue. So you tend to get something beautifully made at around the same price or a bit less which is a different style of guitar, or else you get "better than D-28 at twice the price". 

Given that we don't want to get close to Martin prices, that only leaves the made-in-China stuff, and a few others of similar ilk. As always, the answer is to play as many as you can and see what you like. But I would start with Sigma. Sigma's management seems to keep its finger on the pulse and all the ones I've played have been good examples of their kind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Furch make some very good Martin inspired instruments, and come in a lot cheaper than a Martin.  To get the classic spruce/rosewood combo ungder £1k you might need to go second hand.

Another option would be a late 70s / early 80s Japanese made Martin copy.  There were a lot of them around at the time, and they were generally quite decent guitars.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited December 2021
    crunchman said:

Another option would be a late 70s / early 80s Japanese made Martin copy.  There were a lot of them around at the time, and they were generally quite decent guitars.

Tama IIRC had quite a good rep,   and an old art teacher had a Levin that was pretty decent
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    crunchman said:

Good shout. A friend of mine has an Aria D-28-a-like and it's an absolute cannon.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7193
    edited December 2021
    @Tannin mentioned Sigma as a brand to consider and perhaps start with.  Given that Sigma used to be a subsidiary of Martin (in a similar way as Epiphone is to Gibson and Squier is to Fender), most of their guitars follow the similar size, style  and adornment features as the Martin range, and include the Martin style numbers in their own model numbers (eg. 15, 18, 28, 41, 45, etc).  Their model numbers are fairly easy to follow if you don't see something listed in the specifications.

I currently own dreadnought and OM sized Sigma guitars and I am very happy with them.  They each cost around £400 but in terms of build quality and sound I think they are a match with most other guitars I have played in the £700 to £800 price bracket.  The more expensive ones will no doubt "punch well above their weight" too (I generally don't use clichés).

As far as I know, ALL Sigma guitars have a solid wooden soundboard.  References to "solid" are to whether the back and sides are laminated wood.  They should all have bone nuts and saddles regardless of price point.

The anniversary models ave nitrocellulose lacquer.  I believe they use an ultraviolet-cured lacquer for the upper range guitars of style 40 and above and very thinly applied polyurethane lacquer for styles lower than that.  The lower range guitars use man-made "Micarta" for the fretboards.  To me it looks and feels very much like dense unfigured ebony, but I have no idea whether it behaves like wood during a refret.  I'm pretty sure it won't affect the tone of the guitar in any perceptible way to the human ear when compared with rosewood or real ebony.  Most of the lower range guitars also use a wood called Tilia for the backs and sides.  This is generally referred to as Lime (not the citrus tree) or Basswood. On my dark sunburst OM sized guitar with Tilia back and sides the wood is dark and as a nice figuring that resembles rosewood to some extent and certainly doesn't look out of place on a good quality guitar.

Sigma Model Numbers Explained (valid at 2015) Starting from Left to Right

Wood quality:
    S = All-solid model Solid top, solid back and sides
    Nothing = laminated

Body size:
    D = Dreadnought
    OM = Orchestra Model 1-3/4" nut width
    000 = Auditorium 1-11/16" nut width
    00 = Small body
    G = Grand OM
    J = Jumbo
    T = Travel Guitar
    B = Bass
    C = Classical Guitar
    U = Ukulele

Material:
    MR = Madagascar Rosewood
    R = Indian Rosewood
    M = Mahogany
    T = Tilia (Lime or basswood)  
    K = Koa
    A = Maple

Special Features:
    C = Cutaway
    E = Electric pickup
    12 = 12-String

Series:
    SE = SE-Series Satin finish, Sigma electronics (not mentioned in  model name, eg. DME)
    ST = ST-Series Satin finish
    1ST = 1-Series Gloss finish
    4 = 4-Series Vintage toner
    15 = 15-Series All-Mahogany
    18 - 45 = Ornamentation level Standard series, Vintage series

Features:
    H = Herringbone
    V = Vintage style
    S = Short neck (Neck-body joint at 12th fret rather than 14th)
    5 = 5-String bass
    F = Fretless
    E = Electronics
    YEARS = Anniversary model
    LE = Limited Edition
    L = Lefthand

Finish:
    - = Natural finish
    + = ??? (possibly refers to "Micarta" fretboard)
    SB = Sunburst
    BR = Brownburst
    BK = Black

Looking ONLY at the "28" styling Sigma models from their "Standard series" you have these:

SDR-28 - RRP $1,210 on USA market just over £900 here, but reduced at the moment in most stores.
    (Sitka Spruce top, solid Indian Rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, 44.5mm nut width, Grover tuners, tinted "aged" lacquer, with softshell case).
    https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/standard-series/sdr-28/

SOMR-28 - The OM sized/shaped version of the above dreadnought for about the same price.
    https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/standard-series/somr-28/

It then drops to the "Tilia" and "Micarta" versions in the "28" styling:

DT-28H - RRP in USA market $730:
    https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/standard-series/dt-28h/

DTC-28HE - RRP in USA 930 - Cutaway electric version of above:
    https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/standard-series/dtc-28he/

000T-28S - RRP in USA $790 probably around £600 here - 000-12th fret sized/shaped version of the above
    https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/standard-series/000t-28s/

If you don't want to pin yourself down to ONLY the Martin type of "28" styling, there are a lot more dreadnoughts to consider in the Sigma range and they are widely available fromUK retailers, although supply chain issues may mean the stores don't have all the models to try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Eastman..... I just bought an E1D this week and I'm staggered at how much guitar I got for £467. I like my Taylors (I have  GA3 and a GA8) but I've had my hands on plenty of Martins, Guilds, Larrys and the like and that E1D would hang with any of them.
  • I have a blueridge 000 and it's great for the money. Basically a Chinese martin copy. If I remember the ones to buy are the 3 digit models. 140, 160 and 180 are solid rosewood dreadnoughts. The 180 is more bling than the 160 then 140.
    The 2 digit models are only solid tops.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @daveyh If I can help with an Eastman feel free to drop me a line. I have some nice Dreads in stock - including the E3De electro which is amazing value. 

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    D16? I found a 1997 one for not much money, it sounds wonderful and weighs nothing at all
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited December 2021
    Tannin said:
    D-28 is a hard one to substitute for. The other top makers tend to aim for something a bit different, more distinctively their own, or (in the case of some of the smaller ones) go for what they think the D-28 ought to be assuming budget isn't an issue.
    Agree about this.  IMO, the straight braced D28's do not really have any counterparts.

Lewy said:
    Blueridge is a popular budget brand among bluegrassers. I’m not too familiar with the brand but you see a lot of them in the picking sessions around bluegrass festivals. 

Recording King as well, I'm fairly sure they are built in the same factory as Sigma guitars.  I think the Red Spruce RK's are very good value for what they are but I'd try one in a shop first.

There's a Swedish bluegrass guitarist on YT who posts up videos playing his RK's, and they perform very well, especially compared to his Martin guitars. 
  • I have a Blueridge BR160, like an HD28. New price about £800 I think. It holds its own against my D18.
  • What Mellish said. Eastman E8D is like an HD28 at a third of the price. 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Getting some brilliant suggestions here, cheers guys
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090
    All the usual caveats apply here (Try before you buy. Guitars are variable - even 2 examples of the same model. One man's meat is another's poison etc. etc. etc...)

That said, here are some guitars that you may find within your budget that have a similar makeup to a D28.

I've added comments to some of them (cos that's what we do on forums, isn't it? However, YMMV)

Sigma SDR28 (Tried one in Merchant City Music and it was totally dead. Sounded muffled and quiet. None of the richness and vibrancy you'd hope for in a Rosewood dread. They're also made in the Cort factory in China which may or may not present an issue for you).

Blueridge BR160 and 160a. These look interesting, but the newer ones have "Santos" rosewood (pao ferro) back and sides, which isn't a rosewood at all.

Recording King RD328. Haven't tried one, but Patrick Lundgren and JP Cormier make them sound amazing.

Yamaha LL16. This isn't a straight copy of a D28, but the value is incredible, and they do produce the odd example that is a total cannon (check JP Cormier's review).

Furch Vintage 1 D SR. Good luck finding one under £1k, but if you do, get it.

Alvarez MD70BG. I'm informed that there are several of these (and the MDR70SB) coming into GuitarGuitar in the next few weeks, so you may be able to try them out, depending on your location. They look like well made guitars at good value.

Martin D-16RGT. See Furch Vintage 1 D SR.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090

Recording King as well, I'm fairly sure they are built in the same factory as Sigma guitars.  I think the Red Spruce RK's are very good value for what they are but I'd try one in a shop first.
    That's interesting. I haven't been able to find out where these are made. The fact that so many brands who source MIC guitars shroud the factory location in secrecy seems very suspicious. At least you know where your Eastman, Yamaha, Epiphone, Guild MIC guitar comes from.

Do you have a source for this info I could look at? Cos anything built in the Cort factory is a "no go" for me.