PA speaker cable advice

Just got some LD system speakers where i have xlr or 1/4inch jack to work with (no speakon). What cables should I get/use to connect to my mixer? All suggestions welcome
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Any decent xlr mic cables will work fine. Just connect to the xlr main outputs on the desk.     
  • John_P said:
    Any decent xlr mic cables will work fine. Just connect to the xlr main outputs on the desk.     
    I heard that microphone xlr cables wouldn't be able to handle the load/hot signal or would at least be damaged doing so. 
    Is there a speaker xlr cable more suitable
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6788
    edited December 2021
    Are they powered or passive speakers? If they are powered, then they only need a line level signal from the mixer, so standard xlr mic cables will be ok. Assuming your only talking about 20m or so long cables?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • They're active. The cable will probably 6-10m long
  • If active speakers, standard shielded audio XLR for the signal is all that is needed.
  • Thanks guys
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Not only is standard shielded mic cable fine - for active speakers they're only carrying signal, not current - if you used speaker cable it would add a lot of noise because it isn't shielded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I suspect it was the mention of Speakon connectors that muddied the waters. They would only be used for passive speakers where un-screened cable would be appropriate.

In this case, as suggested, two-core shielded cable (mic cable) is perfect.

My speaker cables are more robust and slightly stiffer (as well as being an awful lot longer) than my mic cables which makes them easier to lay, easier to coil and, I would predict, longer lasting.