Let’s see your Lowden, Avalon and McIlroy acoustics

What's Hot
About a year ago I owned an Avalon A2-20 and seeing @brucegill ’s F35 up for sale made me list after one again. I name the three makers together because of their common history and similar approaches to construction and style, both of which I really like. So, let’s see some GAS inducing contributions :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    edited December 2021

My little S35 all Mahogany.... Will miss my Bog Oak F35 but this will keep me happy for years to come
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 702
    It was seeing your Avalon Fred that made me so interested in Bruce's F35... that and the fact that as an ex-archaeologist the thought of having a guitar made of neolithic timber is really quite appealing!
  • Benm39 said:
    It was seeing your Avalon Fred that made me so interested in Bruce's F35... that and the fact that as an ex-archaeologist the thought of having a guitar made of neolithic timber is really quite appealing!
    I actually had wondered that Ben, 5000 year old timber or something along those lines right? When I saw it was going to you it made a lot of sense!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    edited December 2021
    Was that the Avalon you sold to Dave @danishbacon ?
  • brucegill said:
    That’s the one, then went to somewhere here in this parish then appeared at Glenn’s guitars. Now it’s anyones guess! Was a superb guita
  • brucegill said:
    That’s the one, then went to somewhere here in this parish then appeared at Glenn’s guitars. Now it’s anyones guess! Was a superb guita
    Hahah. Yeah, I had it for a couple of weeks, then sold it to someone on here who was local-ish. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    edited December 2021
    Ah, always up for sharing some McIlroy love, here's some piccies of my A30 Sikta/Rosewood. I've had it 16 years and it's a definite keeper, a beautiful guitar in every way; tone, build and playability.  It replaced a Lowden S23, which although was also a great guitar, I never seemed to bond with it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    edited December 2021
    I am thinking about selling my Left-Handed 2019 Avalon Ard Ri S7 OAK - see my original NGD here https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/161532/ngd-update-avalon-ard-ri-s7-oakc-lefty/p1

A fantastic guitar - but I only play classical nylon-strung guitars nowadays.

It was built to my spec in 2019 and I have the full file of build photos.
  • Wow @tomjax , epic photo

• tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    @danishbacon Thanks for the kind words! I'm a professional photographer, so I maybe have a slight advantage here  :)
  • Here's my 2006 Avalon A12 custom.

It's a. bit of an unusual one - one of only 10 made of this type.  The story is that they had an audit done of their workshop to look at waste, and they identified that they were scrapping some high quality tonewoods that they ought to find a way to use in production. So they created these guitars with 4 piece tops and backs and multi laminate necks. Ahead of its time! It's a beauty - I love it.

https://i.imgur.com/M4KwCJK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jy90qkN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hWu8dYU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ff0icYp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4JkGSSB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/a0NLC5U.jpg
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    edited December 2021
    That's very cool @redrighthand I recall watching a video where Steve McIlwrath waxes lyrical about their laminate and neck cutting waste reduction process, so not surprising to see such an instrument. Do you know how it is braced?
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    edited March 2022
    Alas.....it was difficult to resist the temptation.

IMG-5981

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    There are some seriously nice guitars here.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @danishbacon ; that's a nice little fella. You were right to show him off :) 
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Hard to beat an Irish made acoustic (In my humble opinion ..being based here!)
    A few pics of some current / recent stock .. as you can see I have a thing for backs lol

Lowden F35CX

Avalon Ard-Ri A7-338

Lowden S35

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Wow that's a cool s35. What's the wood?
    tFB Trader
    @danishbacon Cedar/Walnut combo - I sold it around this time last year to a customer. Was one of the sweetest S size I’ve played 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited December 2021
    It's my favourite combination of woods for Irish acoustic guitars.

It's a shame it's not more commonplace, I wish Eastman or something would make something with those woods at a competitive price.
    tFB Trader
    @earwighoney .. I hear you! We've suggested that very thing to Eastman