Recommend me a microphone

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited December 2021 in Live
As per the title really. I know nothing about microphones but might need one within the next few days (open mic where, due to covid, singers are being asked to provide there own).

So... doesn’t need to be all-singing all-dancing, just a decent quality sturdy vocal mic without paying silly money.

Thanks
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Behringer XM8500 is actually pretty good at £25 ish
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • These are good as well https://www.red5audio.com/product/rvd30-dynamic-microphone/. Although a tenner more than the Behringer 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Thanks. Actually, after some research, I’ve decided to splash out and order a Sennheiser E845. Rather more than I’d originally intended to spend but it kept showing up on the internet (along with the similarly-priced SM58 and slightly pricier Sontronics Solo) as best bang for buck with some fantastic reviews, demos, etc.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • E845 good choice
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited December 2021
    Get a sE Electronics V7.

A pal of mine who does sound for big name touring bands heartily recommended one when I asked him.   

He also said someone he knows who does testing for some of the big mic companies had A/B'd it against some really really expensive mics, and it stood up really well to them.

I've bought one and I know a couple of singers who have them as well and they're superb.
  • I'm a bit of a fan of the Rode M3. Nice clear and sensitive. Can work without phantom power on a 9v battery. The only down side is they are quite chunky but I suppose that means they are quite robust. I've never tested that.