Which budget condenser mic?

What's Hot
I need an additional condenser mic mainly for recording acoustic guitar. Any recommendations for decently performing mics within a £100 max budget?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Probably the most popular condenser mic around that price is the Rode NT-1A.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The NT-1A will need to be 2nd hand to get under £100.00. I'm a bit of a fan of the Rode M3 - and I just happen to have a couple for sale if you're interested. They can work on phantom power but can also work with a 9v battery.

I found them better than any dynamic mic I could reasonably afford. Clear and with a nice top end that sparkles.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    edited December 2021
    I have a NT-1A in the sales section if it’s of interest
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/217404/fs-rode-nt1-a#latest

just missing the pop shield…. But under you budget 
  • I really like my AKG P170 mic. £60 and it sounds great with acoustic.
  • I use an Audio-Technica, works really well no complaints
  • I actually quite like the AKG C1000S. They work great in almost any setting, which is nice, come with inserts for multiple polar patterns and you can use a battery if phantom power isn't available.

My favourite weird use of them was as a pair, pointing at the corners of a room where we were recording guitars and vocals. Nice natural stereo reverb.

My least interesting use is...where mine is right now, attached to my desk as a video conferencing mic.
    <space for hire>
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    edited December 2021
    The best thing is a stereo x-y condenser microphone, especially if the acoustic guitar is going to be quite prominently featured.

The Rode NT4 is rather expensive - but you could use a Zoom H2 recorder (or similar) which has a stereo X-Y condenser This can be used as a USB microphone to record into your DAW of choice.

A really good alternative:
    Superlux E524/D £93 only
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e524_d.htm

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Thanks everyone for your helpful recommendations. I'm following those up online to see which might best suit me.

@jaymenon good suggestion. I already have a Rode Stereo Videomic Pro that has x-y config condensers. I normally use it on my camera but it will mount on a small tripod and it does do a decent job of recording acoustic guitar. The reason I'm looking for a second condenser mic to complement the pencil mic I already have is so that I can experiment with two-mic positioning to achieve the best possible acoustic  sound (to my ear) without introducing phase issues. BTW I really enjoy your singing and playing so please keep those videos coming :)

@brucegill a shame the pop shield is missing. An NT-1A would usefully double as an excellent vocals mic -  not that I do much singing ;).

Again, thanks all for your replies.

• It’s somewhere! I’ll take another look but I’m not hopeful. I removed putting it away thinking that’s a good place for it…..
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    brucegill said:
    It’s somewhere! I’ll take another look but I’m not hopeful. I removed putting it away thinking that’s a good place for it…..
    I do that all the time :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can picture it ffs. I slid it into a space that would protect the shield. It was a really good place for it haha. 
  • This superlux is pretty decent for the money: https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205.htm

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I've only got "budget" mics.

I've got an sE-X1 large diaphragm condensor (in the same ballpark as the Rode mentioned earlier. Sounds good for acoustic if you're looking for mono. Decent for vocals, too, considering its price and my lack of recording expertise. Also fine for picking up whatever is in the room (in front of the capsule). I don't regret buying it. 

I've got a pair of Rode M5s that I've used for stereo recordings of string quartets, etc. A single one works well for a guitar, too. 

The mic I use the most is a Shure MV88, but that's just for convenience. It's a pair of mics in mid/side configuration that lets me get decent recordings with a fairly casual attitude to the mic'ing process. It's not going to threaten a professional audio engineer but I get some lovely sounds with little effort.

You just plug it into your iPhone and go. There is an app to help you configure how the mid/side mics combine to send signals into the iDevice and the MV88 does the AD conversion too, up to 24bit/48 kHz. You can record the raw ,id/side signals and play with them later, or in XY stereo, mono cardioid or mono bi-directional. 

Not in your budget new, but maybe used... 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    SE Electronics SEX1, very good, can't fault it really, records everything well, no arguments with sound quality from me
  • For under £100 I would go with an Audio Technica AT-2020.  In fact I did.  I still use it today alongside my more expensive mics.  Mostly these days I will use a C414 but sometimes the AT-2020 just does what I want.  It does have a slightly higher self noise floor than more expensive mics, but is pretty comparable in the sub £100 range.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mxl v67, but the version with the 'warm' option. 
  • I bought the Imperative  Lucent Audio multi-pattern condenser from Studio Spares. I'm no expert, but it works. And it's currently listed at £89
  • I have a sex1, dont actually rate it that highly I think the superlux is better and probably a behringer C1 is comparable. My sex1 is also a bit sticky from where i left it in a hot car once.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    @Jimbro66 , have you seen this? It has been on sale since May and your topic sailed right by without any of us noticing.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    @Jimbro66 I have an AT2020 that I could sell you.