so this arrived today... NSD

paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
edited December 2021 in Other Instruments
This here:

Some initial comarrisons to my other synths are interesting - Ill add findings later.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited December 2021
    OK, quick rundown after some noodling.

Im comparing this with a Virus Ti2 (desktop), a Peak and a Deep Mind 12.   Ive not compared it to my Argon8 as Im moving that on (but havent got its replacement yet) or my Fantom 7 as thats a controller anyway so wouldnt be moved.

This is where the interesting bit...

On a single Oscillator - the Virus is closest to the OB6 by quite a way....  The Deep Mins is thin by comparison - and while the Peak is fat - its also quite a lot duller - seems to have its high freqs rolled off even with filter wide open.

With twin notes an octave apart are held the same holds true - the beating of the the notes is closest on the Virus - but is controllable on both DM and Peak so there more flexible if you want that.  Its also apparent that as well as duller, the Peak is brassier than the others - almost chorused on a bare waveform.

twin Oscillators - single note.  This is where it changes.   Virus has no beating at all in this case - which makes me thing the "natural detuned beating" evident with a single Osc on twin notes is frequency related, but it makes Virus sound flat by comparison.   Peak takes over here - though its still duller and brassier by a way.  Deep mind doesnt shine, theres some thinning and thickening BUT you do have to be in poly mode to replicate this due to the single Osc structure so its a compromise at best here.

Now - forget base waveform, and construct a sound that suits each synth.   Peak and Virus are JUST as pleasing, but they suit different things.  Virus is pads soundscapes, Peak is bass/leads and punch arps an rhythms.   They both do both - but thats where they are best.  Virus has more FX (good ones) but the ones peak does have are excellent - and the distortion is great.  The strange thing is, when dialled in Dee Mind is closer to the OB6 than either of them.... Go Figure (OK its DCO full analogue but the week Osc wouldnt lead you to think it could do this).   

The OB6 is the best sounding BUT its week FX puts it at a disadvantage for some sounds of course.  All in all though a good mix of options.  As a Lone Dave smith, and at home the FX isnt a problem - Im routing it through my AFX....  but with 2 of them I couldnt separate the returns so would have be be a send effect rather than an insert - which limits it more.  Another reason to stick with just one sequential.

I had considered a P6 as well - but after this test I dont think I will bother.  it would mean sacrificing the DM and it actually holds its own well enough with better modulation and better FX - so worth keeping.   I can get leads, basses and arps within the prophet general sonic space with my Pro3.

That doesnt mean I will KEEP the OB6.....  I May after a while change it for the Prophet.   The Pro3 has the OB6 filter as well - so could do the same for a missing OB as it does now for a missing Prophet.   Well see longer term if the OB6 earns its spot of if I switch it up for a P6.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom