Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ever seen a band / artist you didn't appreciate more at the time...?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24199
    I wasn't at all fussed with Prince until I saw him live. Got the tickets for the Mrs' birthday at the O2 / Dome.

It was amazing. One of the very best shows I've seen ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I struggled to like BB King for quite a long time. Saw him play live in 1967 - given those times, I found it difficult to cope with a fat man in a shiny suit and a backing band containing horns. Whilst I accepted his guitar playing was interesting, the setup wasn't exactly Cream, or Rory Gallagher! I rather preferred the support, which was Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, who had been playing for 50 years together.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    I saw Anathema support Cathedral in 1995. We thought they were utter shite. So much so that I'd forgotten they played the gig, remembering just Mourn and Cathedral. 

Years later became a fan of Anathema. So was quite surprised to be reminded I'd seen them live when I found a video of the same gig on YouTube. 
    I loved Anathema 90/91. Not really keen on the recent albums 

I wrote a huge chunk of the Mourn album
    TTBZ said:
    I saw Anathema support Cathedral in 1995. We thought they were utter shite. So much so that I'd forgotten they played the gig, remembering just Mourn and Cathedral. 

Years later became a fan of Anathema. So was quite surprised to be reminded I'd seen them live when I found a video of the same gig on YouTube. 
    That's funny, years ago I saw Cathedral supporting someone else (can't even remember who it was now!) and at the time thought they were utter shite. I wasn't really into anything stoner/doom at the time and my lasting memory was how over-gained and mushy the guitar and overall mix was. He was using JCM900s and it totally put me off them for a long time! I'm still not a huge Cathedral fan due to the vocals, but would have appreciated it properly now!
    800s surely? Unless it was very very early 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Went to see UB40 and Blue at Crystal Palace once and there was this ok-ish guitarist bloke who played a few songs, Carlos Santana or something he was called. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Muddy Waters supporting Eric Clapton in the late 70s at the Manchester Apollo.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited December 2021
    James Brown....in Swindon (lol) circa 1998. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    edited December 2021
    Reverend said:

So you say, every time I mention them. :)

Well done though, great album.

edited December 2021
    Reverend said:

So you say, every time I mention them.

Well someone has to say it,  the album neglects to give the credit
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I saw Dexy's Midnight Runners as a late, fourth on the bill, replacement for the Subway Sect. I thought they were awful.

I subsequently revised that opinion. It was way too kind.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    I saw the Verve support Ride way before Bittersweet .. didnt think too much of them at the time although Richard's star jumps were quite interesting.

My friends also forced me to go see Nirvana on the friday afternoon at Reading Fest '91.

I liked the bit where Kurt jumped into the drum kit (as seen at the end of the Lithium video) and tony the dancer was quite fun. The rest passed me by as i was waiting for Chapterhouse to come on after them

How little I knew then
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Reverend said:
    Reverend said:

So you say, every time I mention them.

Well someone has to say it,  the album neglects to give the credit
    I didn't know, interesting to learn that.  So had you left the band before any of the album was recorded?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Counting Crows at Newport Centre in either the late 90s or early 00s.

It was a very last minute thing.  I'd recently started a new job and the guy I was working with was having some issues with his girlfriend, who was supposed to go with him to the gig.  They fell out on the night so I got a phone call asking if I fancied going with him in her place.

I was quite flattered, he was a likeable guy and must have had loads of friends so the fact he asked me to go was quite mind-blowing.

The band were very good but I was unaware of them at the time so didn't fully appreciate them.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Bahamas and Rival Sons are the first to spring to mind. Went onto buy their back catalogues.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited December 2021
    CaseOfAce said:
    For me it would be seeing Big Country play a local theatre back in the 80s. 
    Enjoyed them at the time but it was just another gig... now I'd give anything to hear The Crossing or Lost Patrol with Stuart Adamson at the helm...

On a related note I saw Bill Hicks in the local University arts centre - tiny room - audience didn't quite know what to make of him - but I was in stitches.
    6 months late I was wearing out the cassette tape of Relentless in the car from repeated listens.
     I was lucky enough to see Stuart Adamson in the Skids 1979(Liverpool). When i told my mates i was going to see some band called the Skids they all laughed their heads off. Amazing gig. I was 13 and it was a Matinee at Erics/Bradys. It was a small venue and like the Cavern inside. Masquerade was the latest single and they did Into the Valley and TV Stars etc. Gutted When he left to form Big Country..But The Crossing is a great Album...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Two stand out for me, one was a small gig about 100 odd people to see a guy I’d never heard of called Joe Bonnamassa. Ridiculously loud, but some of the best guitar tones I ever hear live. 
    Also Nicklecreek at Fleece in Bristol. Again never hear much about them but singer in my band said their young kids doing bluegrass. I was not prepared for how good that was in any way. Staggering level of musicianship. 
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    DesVegas said:
    I saw the Verve support Ride way before Bittersweet .. didnt think too much of them at the time although Richard's star jumps were quite interesting.

My friends also forced me to go see Nirvana on the friday afternoon at Reading Fest '91.

I liked the bit where Kurt jumped into the drum kit (as seen at the end of the Lithium video) and tony the dancer was quite fun. The rest passed me by as i was waiting for Chapterhouse to come on after them

How little I knew then
    I’m pretty sure I saw the Verve support Smashing Pumpkins at Cambridge Corn Exchange, or possibly it was Charlatans headlining, definitely one of those two.

I was also at Reading in ‘91, but we were in the campsite when Nirvana were on, so I took a break from getting stoned and lighting farts with my mates and climbed on top of my camper van to watch a few minutes of them in the far distance. They were pretty good, but no match for what was happening around me, one of the few times in my life I thought I might pass out from laughing so much - happy days :)
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    francer said:

I’m pretty sure I saw the Verve support Smashing Pumpkins at Cambridge Corn Exchange, or possibly it was Charlatans headlining, definitely one of those two.

I think I saw them support the pumpkins on the Siamese dream tour - around the time of storm in heaven - great performance and vibe, with projection screens
    Went to see The Dirtbombs, who were incredible.  The local openers Cherry Choke were also great. The middle band were turgid dross and the only thing that stood out about them was the fact they had spent a lot of money on their clothes. 

A few years later the girl, i was with reminded me it was The Killers
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegas said:

How little I knew then
    The Verve (or Verve as they were then) had split up and reformed by the time Urban hymns came out. A completely different band really.  Nick McCabe was hardly involved in that which is basically the Ashcroft solo record he now claims. Verve in 93/4 (I discovered them supporting Smashing Pumpkins) and they were incredible.