SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: 1981 Gibson L-5c (video added)

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
edited August 2022 in Guitars £
Selling my 1981 L-5c

Whereas there are plenty of L5CES to be found, there were only an average of 12 or so L-5c made a year between 1935 and 1989, assuming that during years where records were not kept/lost they maintained a similar number of production. In 1981 it’s likely that less than 5 were made in total. 

It’s the ultimate ‘acoustic’ version of the L-5. No buzzes from electrics cut into the top, full on arch top prowess, parallel bracing. It was the model of choice for Wes Montgomery, though at the time he cut the top to install a humbucker. That’s not necessary today as the mini humbucker that is installed has plenty of output and sounds like, well, a good humbucker should. It has a stealth under pickguard tone pot installed. 

The guitar is jazz through and through, though you’re welcome to play whatever you like on it. If jazz is new to you, this is a great place to start. At the top. The best-of-the-best. Opus. Shoot for the stars sort of thing.

I'll include a brilliant jazz guitar handbook and an L-5 resource book as well to get you up to speed.

This L-5c is unusual in that it comes from the very tail-end period of Norlin. Although it is said that the craftsmanship and tonal qualities of higher end Gibson jazzboxes during the Norlin occupancy remained high, the timber selections were certainly more muted and spartan. There’s also the issue of the dark teardrop burst that was prevalent at the time. Not so on this example.

It’s hard to work out exactly what changed in 1981 that both this guitar and the one that was sold by Greg (more on this below) have such high grade timbers and careful construction (proper deep dish recarve and voiced box). Was it a decision to start making seriously posh jazz boxes again? A rebellion amidst the luthiers? A couple of special ordered or one-off staff guitars? 

This one is stamped ‘Second’ on the back of the headstock which means there was either a cosmetic flaw or it was an employee guitar if you believe what information there is about the matter on the internet. It was stamped after it was finished. If it is due to a cosmetic flaw, it’s hard to say what exactly as it has a few dings and marks around from over 40 years of playing.

The mini humbucker is wonderful, you can roll back the volume a bit and the tone gets slightly darker. It has the very handy, flip-out cranking Schaller keystone tuning machines.

If chunky jazz tone is what you’re looking for, with plenty of nuance and life, it’s hard to beat to be honest.

It’s also very easy to play, low buzz- free action, beautifully set up neck and with a comfortable profile that is not quite chunky and not quite slim. The amber/auburn Cremona Burst is absolutely gorgeous. Flamed maple everywhere with a beautiful inlaid flowerpot on the headstock and fretboard markers. The spruce top is very tight and evenly grained.

Six years ago, Gregs Guitars sold one of the same year (1981), that was advertised for €7000. It’s not unusual to see modern L-5s now in the £8-9k range nowadays. A recent L-5 sale in the UK, eBay, went for £7500

All that being said it’s priced at £6500 which is just over half of what you would expect to pay for a new custom ordered L-5 today, if they still made them. They don't, so this is it for now.

The guitar comes with what I believe is its original/upgraded factory deluxe TKL case (it’s not stamped Gibson but it’s an L-5 case finished in crocodile stamped leatherette with the silk material shroud that goes over the instrument. I also have a fitted Hiscox case if you'd prefer that.

Given the cost and the guitar in question, I'd much prefer a local collection or meet-up, don't mind driving. 

Here's an amplified demo of the guitar, I'm also happy to record a couple of acoustic ones if you'd like. The tone pot is at about 60% open here.

IMG-0347 IMG-0349  IMG-0351 IMG-0352 IMG-0354
0reaction image LOL 37reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pruddprudd Frets: 660
    edited December 2021
    WOW That is rather special
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prudd said:
    WOW That is rather special
    Cheers Paul :)
  • Nudge
  • Happy Saturday bump :)

• Just WoW had a long and passionate affair with Jazz some years back - never even touched one of these but there’s just something about the perfect lines and design.

some lucky plucker will have a great Christmas 
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    That’s lovely - I haven’t tried a floating L5 but one day I hope to.  There’s a reason these are the definitive jazz boxes. GLWTS
  • Cheers gents. I really like the floating L-5 tone. I've not played it side by side with a CES but it sounds very much like an L-5 tends to. Nice woody tone. It's lovely acoustically as well as it was voiced as a proper acoustic arch top.
  • I think this is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen...great seller to deal with too. 
  • Gentle nudge up, it's still available for now. Could potentially hand deliver along the M4 this coming weekend.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I've had a quick play on this guitar over a coffee in a service station and it's not a only a thing of beauty, it sounds and feels great. It goes without saying that @danishbacon is one of the best fellows to deal with as well.
    Call me Dave.
  • ^^ I'll drink to that.^^ 
    The Future is simply time waiting to become History.
  • Thanks Barry, Dave :)
  • Happy new year (almost!)
  • This will help you fulfil your new years jazz playing resolution
  • up
  • Last nudge for a while/withdrawing.
  • Now withdrawn, thanks to those who have messaged about it.
  • pruddprudd Frets: 660
    Now withdrawn, thanks to those who have messaged about it.

Probably a wise move Fred, I could see you regretting letting it go, that said I will be knocking on your door if I my Premium Bonds come in :)
  • Back up for now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Up