How to repair dent to maple Fender neck?

What's Hot
Just got this lovely second hand Fender MIM Telecaster yesterday, and after polishing the frets to a lovely shine, I managed to knock another guitar on top of it, denting the edge of the neck.

I've had a bit of luck steaming the actual indentation out, but I'm wondering what's a good way to touch up the lacquer? It doesn't need to be an invisible repair, but something to smooth out and protect the bare maple edge would be good. 

Doesn't look too bad in the photo, but I can see it quite clearly and obviously I'm a bit annoyed with myself.

Would a bit of clear nail varnish be okay? Or is superglue better? Presumably it's polyester/polyurethane on the neck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've used regular polyurethane to touch up spots like this. I did it as a drop fix - basically using a cotton wool bud to apply the finish.

Don't apply lots, you'll get a horrible lump. Instead, apply a few thin layers and it'll protect it nicely. Finish by using a small piece of 600 or 800 grit went and dry, which will smooth out the rough edges of the chip. 

You probably can do a much better job! But I have repaired chips in this way in the past and it's okay, if not invisible (or even particularly hidden). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    Nail varnish will be fine for a small spot like that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 311
    edited December 2021
    Thanks, that sounds like good advice. If I wanted to use polyurethane, is there any type in particular that would be recommended. (Preferably in a small container!)

Colour matching would be the stuff of dreams, but in reality all I want is a smooth finish.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Clear nail polish, comes with a free brush. A drop at a time, let it harden fully and scrape / sand level.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 311
    Okay, it's off to the make-up section of Boots for me now...

Glam it up for Christmas
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Useful stuff, while you are there, pick up some white and black as well as the clear, and have a look at the nail file section for some buffing / polishing sticks.
    Once you have got over the initial shame, you will realise the wealth of good guitar 'tweaks' are in the beauty section.