Live playalong to backing track video thing - 2 guitarists

Similar to my acoustic thread posted earlier, this time with two electric guitars (in this scenario me and a guitar student) playing along to the original recording.
I've normally been doing it via the Yamaha MG10 mixer, which is good but as mentioned in the other thread I'm kinda stuck with master stereo mix output with little control on individual track levels. Usually the guitars are a bit too loud against the backing track, but if I turn them down they aren't really audible when the video is recorded. If I turn the backing music up it starts peaking. So its just about loud enough to hear playback to keep in time with. 

Due to time constraints (I usually capture a take or two within an hour's lesson) there's very little opportunity to setup things perfectly and capture the video within an hour I feel it could better but then I'm trying to deliver the lesson and also mess about with these settings.

Would it better if I tracked it in a DAW i.e Reaper or even Audacity? How do I get the backing music onto a track as an mp3/wav file? Normally I stream it off Spotify.

Then there's syncing that audio with the video (I use the Windows 10 camera normally) unless I can use the audio as a live take off the DAW? I'm sure there's ways to do this. Ideally I would like a press record and have everything filmed at once, whilst adjusting a couple of levels.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited December 2021
    2 possibilities:

1) Separate monitor mix from mixer (aux) during recording - set your main output levels first then get a recording mix for the musicians. Listen via a Behringer p2 headphone amplifier and a splitter (sharer) cable to headphones.

2) Import video file into Reaper, treat it as an audio file, record guitars then export as video file.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    Download and install the free Audacity DAW

Set it's input as WASAPI  .... then hit record and start playing the track in Spotify. 

Now you have a WAV of the song and can export it out of Audacity and import it into Reaper or whatever you use. 

Use the pan control on the mixer to pan one guitar hard left and one hard right. Setup 2 tracks in Reaper with inputs L and R

Now you have individual volume control of both guitars and the track. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I think I'll go with @Danny1969's option, seems to be the easier one. I could even record our guitars into Audacity to save converting then importing? (I do have Reaper already though).

It doesn't have to be top studio quality, just good enough to put on my YouTube channel that's all.

And as far as the video goes, is it just a case of playing back  the recorded track out the monitors and filming the performance, then whatever we use to edit we just mute the camera mic audio?