Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Punters knocking PA speakers over

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31571
    tweedphan said:
    stage invasions involving multiple drunken women

You were lucky !!
    It can get extremely annoying. A straplock button attached to a ten-pound Les Paul clonked on the hip bone makes 'em drop like a stone though, and you can make it look like an accident. 
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    You also have to be careful not to spike stage invaders with string ends.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Just remembered another one.

I was in an AC/DC tribute at the time (I was Malcolm). Small pub in Kendal, rammed to the roof with people. A guy at the front with really long hair giving it the massive headbang/hair up and down routine. He got a bit too close to Angus and his hair wrapped around the headstock of his SG and got stuck fast. We're mid song and carrying on, but Angus looks like he's fishing and caught a rocker. He's trying to go left, then right, but there's no getting this guy off his rod/guitar. So, Angus just looks over at me, shrugs his shoulders once, and gave his guitar an almighty yank upwards. A loud scream emanated from said punter and Angus now has a huge hunk of long hair dangling off the end of his SG like a trophy scalp. Carry on regardless.
    8reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Musicwolf said:
    I find that playing to half empty venues where nobody gets up to dance greatly reduces the risk.

Have you thought about playing jazz?

2 for 1 ! Empty venue and nobody dancing ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Get some public liability insurance? 

isnt that for covering "damage" to the public from your  gear/act  (like a punter tripping over a lead, or a speaker hitting a punter)  not for damage to your gear ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    bertie said:

isnt that for covering "damage" to the public from your  gear/act  (like a punter tripping over a lead, or a speaker hitting a punter)  not for damage to your gear ?
    Yep

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I've used a simple ropelight draped across the front delineates stage from dancers. Along the floor and over the wedges works well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    We had this happen on Friday AND Saturday night at different gigs - and I've also had it happen to me at various other gigs. One speaker dented one of the drummer's toms, and the next night, I managed to catch the speaker on my leg while doing a solo (which was quite impressive, I admit).

Has anyone else encountered this? How can you stop it happening?

We tend to play small-ish venues where space is at a premium; we have the speakers in front of myself and the bassist (so no mic feedback), and the legs spread as wide as possible, but we still get idiots knocking them over.
    Whenever any rowdy idiots get too close to our gear our lead singer will either threaten to walk off stage, or chin them. Or possibly both.

In fairness, she once had a punter trip forwards on her monitor and knock the microphone into her face, and she lost a front tooth. Understandably it's a bit of a touchy subject for her!!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    FarleyUK said:
    We had this happen on Friday AND Saturday night at different gigs - and I've also had it happen to me at various other gigs. One speaker dented one of the drummer's toms, and the next night, I managed to catch the speaker on my leg while doing a solo (which was quite impressive, I admit).

Has anyone else encountered this? How can you stop it happening?

We tend to play small-ish venues where space is at a premium; we have the speakers in front of myself and the bassist (so no mic feedback), and the legs spread as wide as possible, but we still get idiots knocking them over.
    Always good for the bassist and the guitarist to have the legs spread as wide as possible at all times, well done.

It won't surprise anyone here that I'm a big advocate of the above for the following reason:
    https://imageproxy.ifunny.co/crop:x-20,resize:640x,quality:90x75/images/32ff3b99c8a22111f41195505d0c4d285061b6e244e3d723fe73f59cd427acc6_1.jpg
    \m/

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    bertie said:

Yep

I’m working in the assumption that if a PA speaker falls on someone’s head it hurts. Although having your gear is insured may be another outcome from this. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    edited December 2021
    Ossyrocks said:

Small pub in Kendal, rammed to the roof with people. 
    @Ossyrocks ;

The late, great Bootleggers, RIP. 

My missus was the manager there for many years and I was probably there on the night you mention - The AC/DC Experience?
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I once had a dog jump up on stage while I was playing and knock over an acoustic guitar on a stand behind me.
  • ICBM said:
    Use a sub and a pole, instead of a tripod?  Big  and heavy, though.
    This. Subs always improve the sound anyway. If you're only using one, obviously put it on the side where it's most likely to be helpful. If you're using subs you can often use smaller and lighter tops which are less top-heavy as well.

Even then, I don't think it's impossible that someone heavy crashing into one could tip it over.
    We tried this route in a cramped pub and had major issues with the bass player getting electromagnetic feedback from the sub so we've always put it on the other side of the stage since then.  He was all but sitting on top of it though.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited December 2021
    StefB said:
    Ossyrocks said:

Small pub in Kendal, rammed to the roof with people. 
    @Ossyrocks ;;

The late, great Bootleggers, RIP. 

My missus was the manager there for many years and I was probably there on the night you mention - The AC/DC Experience?
    @StefB ah yes Bootleggers. We did play there once, but this incident was early in the bands career at The Kent Tavern. We later moved to the Brewery Arts Centre which we played about three times. The band was called AC/DO.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    uncledick said:

We tried this route in a cramped pub and had major issues with the bass player getting electromagnetic feedback from the sub so we've always put it on the other side of the stage since then.  He was all but sitting on top of it though.
    Interesting... what sort of bass - Rickenbacker, Jazz or something else with single-coil pickups?

I had that once when I was using a Rick and was too close to the PA power amp, but I've converted mine to humbuckers now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3667
    edited December 2021
    Drunks… falling into gear and the band.  Yep.  Sometimes it is just the dancing gets wild and they step on stands in the dark.  Humans are just animals.

+1 insurance

+1 on making a barrier / tape line

+1 bass bins and poles

+ 1 on putting speakers on or behind bigger tables, etc. to act as shield.. we do that a lot. 

Happy Xmas….   But no gigs for a few days now with cancellations.  

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24288
    Electric fence and cattle-prods.  It's the only way.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.