Logic Pro built in??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    icu81b4 said:
    @alanohagan I’m interested in your progress on this. As I’m considering a change from PC to Mac.
    Also, Universal Audio have a free DAW called Luna which I’d want to try out.

From what I understand, it's only free if you have one of their interfaces, it's not standalone free
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    @snap Ah, fair enough, I do use UA Apollo interfaces, but on a PC, and Luna isn’t compatible with PC’s at the moment. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    If you want a full fat free DAW, packed out with features, Cakewalk is your only answer, but that is PC only
    Yep, been using Cakewalk for many years, it’s a great DAW.
  • icu81b4 said:
    @alanohagan I’m interested in your progress on this. As I’m considering a change from PC to Mac.
    Also, Universal Audio have a free DAW called Luna which I’d want to try out.

Hi there,
    well the short answer is - I’m totally loving it.
    The move from PC to Mac has been very simple and the power of the new M1 chip is just amazing. I got the upgrade from 8gb standard RAM to 16gb - not really sure if that was essential but at least it gives me an element of future proofing. I opted for the standard 256gb hard drive and I can already see that a full download of Logic Pro has taken up a fair chunk of that - so perhaps factor in the cost of a 1 or 2 TB external SSD.

UAD and LUNA, I’ve had some experience here. The UAD stuff is fantastic, no doubt about that, but it’s very very expensive and in all honesty I suspect the reason they could previously offer a unique selling point is because their interface offered external DSP computing power seems to be getting much more efficient these days so not sure how much longer they’ll be able to hold that niche in the market. The other thing I’d be careful of with UAD is the graphical user interface, is so good that it tends to draw people in for that very reason rather than for the output derived from the tool.

Hmmm sounds a bit like I’m bashing UAD here, I really don’t mean to because their products are fantastic - just very expensive and I guess only you can decide if you’ll get the full value from them.

Im absolutely no expert in any of this by the way but I’m having so much fun with the new toy and exploring more musical ideas than ever before.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    ^ I agree re UA stuff - I bought into it twice but on both occasions ended up back with RME. For me the lower latency of the RME beat the UA plug-in goodies.
    ^ I haven’t suffered much with latency issues, but I typically only track one or two instruments at a time, but I am a heavy UAD user (along with Soundtoys and Izotope), which is why I’m keen to try Luna. 

I’ll admit it was a close race whether I bought RME or Apollo but when the twin was announced it sold me.