Steve Vai blows my socks off again!

What's Hot

Comments

• Bored,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Thinking over his career and what I personally like about Vai, a band situation with a great singer for me brings the best out of him...this stuff is too self-indulgent !
  • Schmo said:
    Thinking over his career and what I personally like about Vai, a band situation with a great singer for me brings the best out of him...this stuff is too self-indulgent !
    Well then so is Paganini. What do you prefer about the vocal led albums? The deep emotional maturity or the nuanced and skilled vocal delivery? 
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    edited December 2021
    Schmo said:
    Well then so is Paganini. What do you prefer about the vocal led albums? The deep emotional maturity or the nuanced and skilled vocal delivery? 
    The songs, the riffs, the solos, the tones, the playing. Also, I do dig all the vocals, including Lydons...seems you don't ?
  • Ludicrously brilliant...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Ludicrously brilliant...

Yeah I saw that today. Steve Vai is incredible and it seems like he's really stepped up his game again on the latest album. He's actually written a piece of music that works brilliantly on that instrument, I don't think anyone else out there could do that as well.

I must get a copy of the CD!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    When I was a kid I really got into the whole shredding thing. Completely lost interest after a few years but still appreciate the skills it takes. 

That steampunk 3 guitar thing he is doing there is unreal to watch, some top playing but it's not what I'd choose to listen to.

Impressed mind you.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Awesome, I’m not a shredder at all but really appreciate the artistry of Vai, I think his new album is a bit of a classic amongst instrumental guitar albums, an early call but hey. It’s mental but so musical. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    dindude said:
    Awesome, I’m not a shredder at all but really appreciate the artistry of Vai, I think his new album is a bit of a classic amongst instrumental guitar albums, an early call but hey. It’s mental but so musical. 
    That’s exactly why I like him too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    He’s soo excellent. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    My jaw fell open when I realised what I've been hearing on the album is all being played simultaneously by him haha. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    At like 2:40 when he presses those buttons on it and then smirks like "you thought I added those effects later in the studio didn't you?". What a wanker  :3
  • Ticket for Manchester acquired!

Kinda steeling myself for an evening of widdle but I've loosely followed him since before he was Jack Butler, never seen him live, he's 61, and last time he played the UK was six years ago: time to make the pilgrimage!
    Ticket for Manchester acquired!

Kinda steeling myself for an evening of widdle but I've loosely followed him since before he was Jack Butler, never seen him live, he's 61, and last time he played the UK was six years ago: time to make the pilgrimage!
    I've seen him a few times, but not since 2000. Every time he was brilliant. Seriously tempted to try and get a ticket as I'm loving what I've heard of the new album.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Anyone else going to Glasgow tomorrow?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I'd love to see him in London, but I'm still pandemic twitchy so I won't be going.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    ICBM said:
    Little Stevie Vai's first gig in two years...how was it?
  • I should really go and see him here in Belfast on Saturday. I’m not the biggest fan, but I’ll probably regret not going? 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    I should really go and see him here in Belfast on Saturday. I’m not the biggest fan, but I’ll probably regret not going? 
    That was my logic...now a long rainy drive to Manchester beckons.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    Trouble is with his new moustache he look more like my old school bus driver and not the master guitar god I grew to worship. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom