Steve Vai blows my socks off again!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    digitalkettle said:

Little Stevie Vai's first gig in two years...how was it?
    Hmmm... well, given that's the first time I've seen him I may have been expecting something different, but it was good rather than amazing. I'm glad I went, but not sure I will again. The thing that makes me like Vai alone among all the shred-type players is the variety and creativity in his music - not the million-miles-an-hour soloing. But it was mostly the latter that he played last night. The first problem was that it was *far* too loud - I'm not just too old, the volume was so high it made my ears distort and buzz, as well as making the clarity very poor - I put earplugs in almost immediately, which made it much less painful and improved the mix so I could actually hear what he was playing better. But even after that, there was just not enough dynamics or variation really - just basically the same thing all the way through. Maybe that's what he does, live - he's clearly a brilliant soloist and maybe that's what most of the fans want to see, but I would have liked more subtlety and weirdness.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    I've never seen him play live...I'd played the new album a couple of times...last time I'd played a whole album before that was 'P&W' way back...but I've always kept an eye on him from afar. I don't go to widdly guitar gigs: previous one was to see his dad Joe Satriani play on the 'FiaBD' tour!

This gig was exactly what I expected...no, actually it surpassed it: I expected to get a bit bored but I was fascinated watching the man do his thing (okay, there was a drum solo where I may have glanced at my phone).

Standing gig...probably not quite sold out...good sound (I wore my -26dB mouldies from start to finish).

Steve was on it...if anything, he's still getting a couple of the new tunes under his fingers: clinging on to the clean tone in 'Candle Power'. He was not playing it safe and was pushing it all night but there's a note perfect rendition of FTLOG if that's your thing.

He's still the master. It was a privilege to see him and I recommend grabbing some last minute tickets if you can before he decides he's 'too old for this shit'...I love the guy ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I was also at Manchester last night. This kind of music is a fairly new thing for me and I only started listening to Vai over the last couple of years. I've never seen any such virtuoso guitarist live before and I was slightly apprehensive about whether my interest would be kept for a whole gig -  I needn't have worried, my socks were totally blown off right from the start.... I just had a big grin on my face. I felt there were enough peaks and troughs to keep up the interest, with a few interludes, etc. Some of the parts where he just played on his own, to build up or end a song,  making all kinds of sounds, were particularly impressive. 

What an unbelievable guitarist..... what more I can say, and he makes it look to effortless. Seeing For the Love of God played was the obvious highlight for me, what a song. He was clearly loving being in front of an audience again. Who was the other guitarist? His 'duels' with Vai were superb. So glad I went..... my first gig since 2018, and Vai's 2nd gig in 3 and a half years.  Also his birthday today, 62. The sound was fine, not too loud, I didn't put my plugs in. I see the Glasgow venue was seated and seemed to be  a much bigger stage, perhaps differences in sound? 

As @digitalkettle says, if you can, go and see him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2022
    I left the concert feeling uplifted...which is saying something because I went in fairly pleased having listened to Grimsby regaining football league status on the way in

It felt like 'good loud'...I'm just a bit super-cautious about my ears. Far too many youngsters in there with no protection!

The other guitarist was long term side-kick Dave Weiner...a serious player in his own right...looking more like Don Was these days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Next dates:
    07: London Palladium
    09: Bristol O2 Academy
    10: Dublin Academy
    11: Belfast Limelight
  • Sounds like we had a similar kind of night - I'd just left a pub after seeing my country qualify for the World Cup. I was walking on air. The gig continued this feeling -  totally uplifting. And yes, I was sober!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited June 2022
    I should go tomorrow, but I'm the master of procrastination. I'll regret not going ...
  • The only similar uplifting and mind blowing experience I've had from seeing a guitarist was with J Mascis - also a genius but in a different way. 
  • axisus said:
    I should go tomorrow, but I'm the master of procrastination. I'll regret not going ...
    Do it. You won't regret it. I didn't get back home till 1.30am it was so worth it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Bit late here but can anyone ID that Ibanez in the OP vid? Looks like a bog standard Artcore to me off the shelf? My local tech raves about his Artcore, prefers it to his high end PRS etc. The necks are too skinny for me tho
    axisus said:
    Do it. You won't regret it. I didn't get back home till 1.30am it was so worth it.
    Dooooo eeeeit!
    roberty said:
    Bit late here but can anyone ID that Ibanez in the OP vid? Looks like a bog standard Artcore to me off the shelf? My local tech raves about his Artcore, prefers it to his high end PRS etc. The necks are too skinny for me tho
    I'm sure there was a video where he talked about it...can't find it now ;-/

The guitar's not listed on vai.com either...he played that song on a sunburst Ibanez jazzbox last night...and it was apparently tracked on a Gretsch.
  • On reflection, that gig has given me a huge lift in terms of wanting to continue playing, learning and developing. I think it may turn out to be the most influential and inspirational gig for me as a guitar player of my life. I'm playing with joy and confidence tonight. Sounds a bit corny and hyperbolic, but that's how I'm feeling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    edited June 2022
    Just saw him in London.
    Only real criticism was the mix. Drums far too loud and second guitar too quiet and the bass got lost (quite a trebbly/midrange tone)
    Some nice Jems and Pias on stage a pity he did not bring the hydra (sitting at Namm at the moment)
  • The mix seemed fine to me in Manchester.

The rest of the band were excellent , reading up I see they’ve been playing with vai for years, you could see Vai giving them little cues and signals. 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Who's the support? Going to Bristol tonight and would rather get there a bit later as I've knackered my back again....so unless the support is amazing I'll give it a miss for less standing time!!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited June 2022
    Who's the support? Going to Bristol tonight and would rather get there a bit later as I've knackered my back again....so unless the support is amazing I'll give it a miss for less standing time!!
    There was no support in Manchester. He started at 8pm, it finished not long after 10pm. 

Enjoy seeing the master at work. 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    There was no support in Manchester. He started at 8pm, it finished not long after 10pm. 

Enjoy seeing the master at work. 
    ah cool, cheers mate. Sounds good. Seen him a couple of times but not for ages so looking forward to it :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23937
    I've seen him twice, both at the Astoria (RIP) .

They type of show performed is definitely influenced by the band he puts together.

First time had Mike Mangini on drums with Phil Bynoe on bass and Mike Keneally on guitar and keys.

2nd was Virgil Donati on drums with Billy Sheehan on bass, Dave Weiner on guitar and Tony MacAlpine on guitar and keys.

They had very different feels. Loved both shows. I still get the DVD out to watch every now and again (2nd one)
  • The current band is David Weiner, Phil Bynoe and Jeremy Colson on drums. And damn good they were too.