Zoom H6 (or similar) - Anyone Use One ?

What's Hot
Im about to start the family tree, and Im thinking of getting a Zoom H6 for recording my Dad and others thoughts…

Also, doubles up as an interface etc etc

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweavesweave Frets: 65
    Hi Warren
    My daughter (who is loving the Genelecs you sold me) has the Zoom H5 and has been very pleased with both quality and functionality when recording choral / classical performances. She's used it as a standalone recorder in the field, and as an interface plugged into laptop with Reaper. Particularly likes being able tp play audio straight back via headphones to check quality. (Hasn't plugged in extra mics or used the onboard editing stuff so cannot comment on that). Would assume tha H6 is even better?
    Steve
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6792
    I have the H4n

Like - able to record from internal or external mics, sound quality, auto gain settings.

Dislike - slow to boot up. Seems to be able to delete recording if you switch it off too quickly after stopping recording.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 741
    I use Zoom H4. Its good but the setup is far from intuitive and requires extensive perusal of the manual.

I use it for recording. To me the onboard bidirectional mics are more than adequate for recording an acoustic onto .wav files. I then put SD card into PC and use Audacity freeware to slightly edit files. Music and artwork then goes onto SoundCloud and CD's.

The other weakness of the H4 is that it eats its way through batteries so I always use it with power cable. Also you have to put the right generation of SD card in it. It will not work with some of the more modern generations.

I would recommend it to anyone with the patience to learn how to use it. Once you have set it up for your requirements it requires  very little subsequent adjustment.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    For your purpose might a cheaper option be to use your smartphone/pad with an attached mic? e.g. an iPhone/iPad with a Shure Mv88 allowing video to be recorded at the same time if desired.
  • My field recorder is an iPhone with an MV88. The Shure app records well, as does Voice Recorder, Music Memos (for now), Multitrack DAW and GarageBand. 

The WAV files then go anywhere I want using Airdrop, email, etc. 

TBH, if you're recording speech from close up, I suspect the built in mic would be fine, too. 

On Topic- never used a Zoom recorder, sorry. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 741
    Forgot to say H4 will record .mp3 files too. Easier to email. My provider has limits on size of attachments so .wav files not always transferable.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Whichever option you go for (I've got a super simple H1n), consider getting a Lavalier mic. For spoken word, it's far better than the recorder's own mics placed a few feet away on a tabletop. The latter capture so much room sound (and any desk impulses - pencils, etc) that it can be distracting in the final audio. 

My Other Half has used my H1n for field interviews in Japan, and the transcriber finds it fatiguing compared to recordings with a Lavalier.

And if any interviews are done outdoors, a fluffy wind thingy is essential.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweave said:
    Hi Warren
    My daughter (who is loving the Genelecs you sold me) has the Zoom H5 and has been very pleased with both quality and functionality when recording choral / classical performances. She's used it as a standalone recorder in the field, and as an interface plugged into laptop with Reaper. Particularly likes being able tp play audio straight back via headphones to check quality. (Hasn't plugged in extra mics or used the onboard editing stuff so cannot comment on that). Would assume tha H6 is even better?
    Steve
    Good news Steve about the Genelecs !

I'm hoping the H6 is good; I've just ordered one from Andertons (triple points)...

Big thanks to all your help folks =)

@goldtop
    @DavidR
    @TheBigDipper
    @Jimbro66
    @mrkb

• Big fan of the H5, and ended up getting the U44 for a portable interface for online teaching, nothing wrong with the H5 for that, just this is slightly more flexible.
  • Thanks all.

Zoom H6 arrived, and Ive been very Supro by just how good it is…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    The quality of recording you can get from these little Zooms is indeed very surprising!

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Bit late, but I've got an H6 (Drew's old one, as it happens) and have used it for recording rehearsals and as an interface.

Lots of options which seem overwhelming but once you get cracking it's very easy to use.