Staining/darkening a Strat neck & headstock

What's Hot
I have a US Performer which as a fairly new model has a pale maple headstock and back of neck (fretboard is rosewood). I much prefer a more 'vintage' look/colour and while I'm not going to attempt any sort of relic job it would be good to darken it.

It has (had) a satin finish which I've taken off somewhat with scotchbrite  and also tried the popular internet trick of Kiwi brown shoe polish. It has helped a little, but even after several coats its not where I want to be.

So I am thinking of re sanding/scotchbriting and then staining with an amber tint like this:
https://www.crimsonguitars.com/collections/guitar-finishing/products/stunning-stains?variant=32379027488903

..and then finishing with an oil from the same place or maybe Monty's finishing wax or something similar.

So first question, does the above plan sound sensible?

Now the tricky bit, the headstock. I really can't be arsed to sand off all the decals, and reapply, I want to leave them in place. I understand Fender applies a thin player of lacquer over the decals so what are my chances of sanding gently over the lettering, more firmly elsewhere, to enable me to apply the stain to the headstock and get a reasonable result?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited December 2021
    Leave the guitar somewhere where direct sunlight falls on the maple parts of the neck. A couple of years should suffice. It will discolour by itself.

Alternatively, allow a chain smoking friend to smear tarry fingers along the neck. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Just don’t. You’ll end up with something that looks like one of the Ebay abominations someone posts here every few weeks for us all to laugh at.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    ICBM said:
    Just don’t. You’ll end up with something that looks like one of the Ebay abominations someone posts here every few weeks for us all to laugh at.
    This, but if you simply must do it, give it to a professional finisher and accept that the guitar might be harder to sell if you ever choose to.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    As it's a rosewood board, bite the bullet and get some tinted clear nitro. It won't be all that hard to get a decent flat coverage and if you screw up you will be able to remove it with acetone which won't bother the decals as they are under poly.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8888
    tFB Trader
    My professional advice is - leave it alone.

My own opinion is - leave it alone.
  • Ok I think maybe a consensus is forming :)   

Not messing with it  is probably a good thing, far too many recording projects I want to get done anyhow.

Just surprised no one said 'buy another guitar with a vintage style neck' to scratch that itch.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Buy another guitar with a vintage tint neck… =)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited December 2021
    ICBM said:
    The comparisons I would have drawn were;
    1) WW2 gravy browning pretend stockings.
    2) the curious shade of burnt umbrage associated with Andrew Neil and Donald Trump.

To whoever LOL'd my earlier post about cigarette tar for vintage tinting, I say try it. It works a treat on American plastic pickup covers, giving an aged appearance that minty green plastic can not match.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.