Home recording Acoustic in an untreated room

What's Hot
Hi all,

So I enjoy recording solo acoustic, or singer songwriter stuff in which the acoustic plays a primary role.
I am however working in a small, untreated room, due to my current house situation.
Best way to get a better recorded sound?
I have a Rode Nt1, and I know about positioning near the 12th fret etc. Would a set of small pencil mics like the nt5s and a stereo bar work better? Any other methods anyone can recommend?
Realistically I know its not going to be perfect but suggestions to get it as solid as I can all gratefully received.

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    I generally start by putting the mic near the soundhole and then listen as I move it around. There's so many variables with different guitars and playing styles that it hard to suggest an exact mic or position but the important thing is .... when you are engineering yourself ... is  to monitor whats going to the DAW ... not the sound of the acoustic guitar in the room. 

Generally I use a large SE condensor and a small pencil condensor together  but recently I've got good enough sounds from a single large condensor in my untreated front room. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    Experiment with what you have first.  Position of mic relative to the guitar and the position of the guitar within the room.  You can also try using a duvet as a refection filter, maybe start by hanging it behind the mic.  If you have a spare boom mic stand set it up with the boom horizontal, so that it looks like a 'T', and hang a douvet over that.

I often use a single NT1 to record acoustic guitar in a small room.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    Musicwolf said:
    Experiment with what you have first.  Position of mic relative to the guitar and the position of the guitar within the room.  You can also try using a duvet as a refection filter, maybe start by hanging it behind the mic.  If you have a spare boom mic stand set it up with the boom horizontal, so that it looks like a 'T', and hang a douvet over that.

I've done this with a heavy blanket.  It does help.
  • Deffo setup a makeshift gobo with a duvet. I also recommend getting some decent acoustic panels/gobos. You can look for used ones near you on ebay too or buy new from GIK and you can just lean them against the wall, no need for permanent fixing. 
  • I’ve just bought a studiospares isocube for exactly this 
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 38
    I recorded the tracks in the link below in the corner of my bedroom with a duvet hanging behind me. A pair of Oktava MK 012 mics on a spacer bar. Audient iD14 interface into Reaper DAW. I think you just have to experiment with what you have. I did have them professionally mastered though which helps a lot.

https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/album/rivers-and-trees

Phil