1Q22 Challenge Downbytheriver 335 style from a kit with stains

What's Hot

Comments

• Ditch the plastic - defo!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    One thing I haven’t mentioned is that, disappointingly, there is no large access from the pickup routs - the electrics will have to go through the f-hole - I need to experiment with that to see what kind of loom will fit. 
    Mini pots?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    One thing I haven’t mentioned is that, disappointingly, there is no large access from the pickup routs - the electrics will have to go through the f-hole - I need to experiment with that to see what kind of loom will fit. 
    If it's the same thickness as a 335, and ditto the f holes, then standard pots will fit fine but you may need the shorter version of the 3-way that switchcrsft make.   But push/pulls probably won't fit (or technically may, but will be pretty much impossible to get in)..

There's a lot of Youtube watching and patience involved...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Has it got a hole in the bottom side of the bridge pickup cavity, that's a way you can sometimes get things in there.  The sideways switch will also fit, but you might have to have the wafer side away from the pots.  
  • westwest Frets: 996
    west said:
    its a shame as i have some spare locking rotomatic machine heads with ebony buttons that came off my 335 but ....
    Rats! How much? 

The Lollars are definitely on my radar but I think it depends how the build goes before I commit to that sort of spendy. 

Fletcher or Alegree pickups are worth a look for sensibly priced good quality pickups. 
    I’ll take a look - same proviso as above. 

Meanwhile I’ve been out in the shed… very light sanding to the sides of the neck heel and another tight dry fit. I’ve laid a few parts in place and the neck angle looks perfect! That scratchplate won’t do though! Something else to think about. 

Brought all the wood inside the house - it’s a bit damp out there at the moment

@downbytheriver ; £45 posted ppg they are chrome 106 18;1 rotos with black ebony buttons .... i dont have the 6 little screws as i used the ones on me 335 ... pm if interested and i can send a pic ... ;)
  • Stains arrived today - few days in quarantine then some experiments at the weekend I think. I’m getting too excited - must not rush. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Stains arrived today - few days in quarantine then some experiments at the weekend I think. I’m getting too excited - must not rush. 
    Rushing, my biggest problem….
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    paulnb57 said:
    Stains arrived today - few days in quarantine then some experiments at the weekend I think. I’m getting too excited - must not rush. 
    I’ve done so many quick jobs that turned into much (much) longer repair-the damage-and-do-it-properly jobs!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    paulnb57 said:
    I’ve done so many quick jobs that turned into much (much) longer repair-the damage-and-do-it-properly jobs!
    Me too!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Another inspiration in Guitarist (thanks for the pic) - I really like this scratchplate idea (I really could not do a 335 without a plate) but where will I get that made?!?

Ps. This is a Robson guitar - really interesting new brand from the people who make the posh machine heads 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another inspiration in Guitarist (thanks for the pic) - I really like this scratchplate idea (I really could not do a 335 without a plate) but where will I get that made?!?

Ps. This is a Robson guitar - really interesting new brand from the people who make the posh machine heads 

Custom cooletch? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Custom cooletch? 
    Perfect answer - thanks
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    also check out indra guitars
    https://www.indraguitars.com/content/custom-pickguard#/

I've done a few out of aluminum and a Dremel engraver, but rougher than a properly engraved example though
  • Wow that’s even better Wez! 
  • WezV said:
    also check out indra guitars
    https://www.indraguitars.com/content/custom-pickguard#/

I've done a few out of aluminum and a Dremel engraver, but rougher than a properly engraved example though
    Wow! That looks absolutely incredible! 

I really like the custom cooletch stuff but it does look quite different to that indra...

Bookmarked! 
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited January 2022
    Looking at stains. 

I ordered a couple of bottles of the newish Crimson Guitars Pastel Stains - sky blue and sea foam green with the possibility of a blue green burst styley finish in mind. 

In the cold damp shed this morning I tried them out. The blue green burst doesn’t look right - probably needs bolder colours (especially the blue). 

The green alone is a possibility

Any opinions?

actually the blue green looks better here than it did in the shed! 

I like the blue green burst, subtle, could you apply more to make it less subtle if desired?

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited January 2022
    paulnb57 said:
    I like the blue green burst, subtle, could you apply more to make it less subtle if desired?
    Not really - just obscures the grain - maybe add a darker blue on the outside
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I like the blue green as it is

Have you put any top coat on, m
  • Just a spray over with acrylic clear