How to square off the end of fretboard on a kit neck that isn't quite right?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    Roland said:
    The advice I was given about tools is don’t buy until you need to. Then when you need buy something which will last a lifetime. If you really, really never will use a chisel again in your life then take it to someone who has one, and knows how to use it.
    Yes. That's what I'd do. Good quality chisels aren't cheap at all. You can buy cheap chisels but you really shouldn't. You buy cheap and then you buy twice. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    In this situation, for this job, a cheap scalpel would suffice. IMO
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7208
    If I was doing this I would clamp a piece of metal with a straight side onto the fretboard so that it lines up with the treble side that is cut to the correct length and have it tapering off by however many millimetres you need to remove at the edge on the bass side.  I would then stick some fairly rough sandpaper securely to an accurately squared off hardwood or metal block or something similar and carefully sand off the excess using the piece of metal clamped across the board as a stopper guide, while making sure that you keep your sanding block plumb.  The most difficult part would be finding something curved on one side to use as a clamping caul to protect the back of the neck.  It might be possible to stick a thing and slightly flexible 6 inch steel rule to the fretboard using double sided tape, but it might not stick if the board has been oiled fairly recently.