Any use for US IEC leads?

What's Hot
Seems a complete waste to me that manufacturers ship things with 2 leads sometimes, a UK one and Euro or US lead.

I've a pointless collection of the things with no good use for them other than the bin which is completely wasteful.

What do you do with them?  

I hate wastage, I think companies should include the correct lead for the country the product is selling in.

Anyway, any use for them other than landfill? Perhaps we should save them all and post batches to countries that can actually use them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Put a UK mains plug on them?

Cut the plugs off both ends and use them as speaker leads?
    <space for hire>
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    Put a UK mains plug on them?

Yeah, could be an option for home use, not a bad idea. Not sure you could use them at a venue.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I used to dispose of them, right up until the point I actually needed one.
    Now I just keep a couple spare, they come in handy, along with a step transformer.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    I cut off the end and put a Uk plug on them.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

Yeah, could be an option for home use, not a bad idea. Not sure you could use them at a venue.

There's no issue with an un-moulded plug from a PAT point of view as long as it's fitted properly
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18722
    Danny1969 said:

There's no issue with an un-moulded plug from a PAT point of view as long as it's fitted properly
    ^ This. Arguably a properly fitted plug can be better, as you can see that the connections are solid & good. You can't check this with a moulded plug.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3040
    Danny1969 said:

^ This. Arguably a properly fitted plug can be better, as you can see that the connections are solid & good. You can't check this with a moulded plug.
    The only problem with this is economic - UK mains plugs cost way more than a pre-formed IEC lead with a UK plug attached, especially the decent non-brittle ones.

R.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    @robinbowes ;

CPC part no PL10201 is £1.07 so not too bad if you are buying something else as well for combined shipping 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Danny1969 said:

CPC part no PL10201 is £1.07 so not too bad if you are buying something else as well for combined shipping 
    That has a proper cable clamp too, unlike the ones with a sideways nylon ratchet thing which never holds the cable firmly enough.

Failing to do the cable clamp up properly and so allowing stress on the electrical connections which eventually work loose is probably the number one fault with DIY-wired mains plugs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein