Budget keyboard

What's Hot

Are there any budget keyboards with decent piano, electric piano and organ sounds?

I could go the midi route and vst’s but I like the idea of external sounds also.

I used to have a Nord Electro 2 but foolishly sold it when a band split up.
just wondering if the budget end has come on in the last 10 years.

Currently looking at these:-

Roland Go keys
Yamaha PSR E373

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Have you got a Mac of any kind ? 

Main Stage 3 sounds superb and cost £26
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I have a Yamaha MX61 for travelling around. Many of the presets sound the same as they do on my expensive Montage 6. You also get a DX engine which you control from iPad. I really like it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    Danny1969 said:

That looks great, but I’m using a Windows laptop and Cubase.

The Macbook Air’s are tempting bit in all honesty my Laptop is fine so couldn’t justify the swap.
    I’d probably connect midi to my Ipad so I could use the garageband sounds at least.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793

Are there any budget keyboards with decent piano, electric piano and organ sounds?

I could go the midi route and vst’s but I like the idea of external sounds also.

Roland Go keys
    Yamaha PSR E373

Gokeys is junk, avoid.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    octatonic said:

Roland Go keys
    Yamaha PSR E373

Gokeys is junk, avoid.

Agreed.
    octatonic said:

Roland Go keys
    Yamaha PSR E373

Gokeys is junk, avoid.

I half expected it to be honest.

the Juno DS61 would probably be the more reasonable budget Roland option.

I have a Yamaha MX61 for travelling around. Many of the presets sound the same as they do on my expensive Montage 6. You also get a DX engine which you control from iPad. I really like it

Also on my radar, will have a good look.

Danny1969 said:

The Macbook Air’s are tempting bit in all honesty my Laptop is fine so couldn’t justify the swap.
    I’d probably connect midi to my Ipad so I could use the garageband sounds at least.
    My live rig is a 2012 Macbook running Mainstage, so no need to spend a fortune. I prefer hardware myself but you need to spend a hell of a lot on a hardware keyboard to match the sounds of the £26 Mainstage. Basically a 2015 Macbook Air from  Ebay for £250 and £26 Mainstage will be far superior to a £700 hardware keyboard. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Spectrasonics Keyscape does acoustic, electro-mechanical and tine pianos, clavinets, Wurli, digital (Roland JD, MKS-20 and, possibly, a few D-50 style), not sure about FM types. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 334
    edited January 2022
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

My live rig is a 2012 Macbook running Mainstage, so no need to spend a fortune. I prefer hardware myself but you need to spend a hell of a lot on a hardware keyboard to match the sounds of the £26 Mainstage. Basically a 2015 Macbook Air from  Ebay for £250 and £26 Mainstage will be far superior to a £700 hardware keyboard. 

@Danny1969, would you recommend a good value keyboard/ midi controller to go with Main Stage? Ideally less than £100.
    I love my brick
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Stavros said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

@Danny1969, would you recommend a good value keyboard/ midi controller to go with Main Stage? Ideally less than £100.
    They are all roughly equivalent at that price point.
    How many keys do you want?
    Yeah because a keyboard is a mechanical device a quality one cost a lot of money even though it's only transmitting midi and has no audio  processing internally. 

For piano at home  I like and use an 88 key Roland A series, for live playing my parts are generally synth and strings so I can use a much smaller and cheaper controller. The Nektar I have was about £45 and although it's mechanically noisy that's not a problem onstage. 

Older Yamaha and Casio all in keyboards come up cheap all the time and they can be used as midi controller keyboards with the inbuilt sounds ignored. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    octatonic said:
    Stavros said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

I’m an absolute beginner so probably do not need full size, plus space limited 
    I love my brick
    Danny1969 said:
    Yeah because a keyboard is a mechanical device a quality one cost a lot of money even though it's only transmitting midi and has no audio  processing internally. 

For piano at home  I like and use an 88 key Roland A series, for live playing my parts are generally synth and strings so I can use a much smaller and cheaper controller. The Nektar I have was about £45 and although it's mechanically noisy that's not a problem onstage. 

Older Yamaha and Casio all in keyboards come up cheap all the time and they can be used as midi controller keyboards with the inbuilt sounds ignored. 
    Cheers Danny
    I love my brick
    Stavros said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

If you want really nice piano and electric piano feel you need some kind of hammer action weighted keys really, but then that’s not ideal for organs and synths.
    Most cheap midi controllers work well for synths and organs but you do miss the feel for piano parts, so depends what the priority is.

I think having both - an 88 key hammer action board and something like a 61 key synth action board is the ideal!

• Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

But will the keybed you havent priced in?  

I dont like the VST route - but many swear by it.   Dont rule it out but factor in everything you need.
  • I think we need a budget.....  OP mentioned its a budget keyboard hes looking for - but what is that?

£1000 is relatively budget for me (at the moment).... but I know others that would balk at £100.

I think we need a budget.....  OP mentioned its a budget keyboard hes looking for - but what is that?

£1000 is relatively budget for me (at the moment).... but I know others that would balk at £100.

There isn’t really a budget, or at least that’s what I need to find out.  I was wondering if anything in the £200-£300 range was usable but already I’m now in the £600 range.

Juno DS61, VR-09, MX61 etc.

I don’t need loads of sounds, just decent organs, E.P’s, and a reasonable piano.

I don’t need loads of features either - Mod wheel, transpose octave up/down.

I could go VST route or even use my ipad but seems like a messy solution getting audio in and midi out, would need another interface I would imagine.

I’m currently borrowing a Roland XP-80, that’s a bit big, heavy and overcomplicated for what I need.  Sounds are reasonable but I would imagine sounds have got better since the 90’s.

What I’d really like is another Nord Electro 61 but that is too expensive to justify.  

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    +1 on the Yamaha MX series. They really are a complete Motif engine in a cheap frock. Keybed is a bit lightweight, but I never noticed after 5 minutes. All models will work as a MIDI interface for your computer and some also do bidirectional USB audio, if that simplifies hook-up things for you?

It's class-compliant, too, so it would also work directly with an iPad via Apple's connection widget.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Stavros said:
    octatonic said:
    Stavros said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

I’m an absolute beginner so probably do not need full size, plus space limited 
    It’s probably a bit too ‘amateur’ for you but I got a Korg microkey 37 USB keyboard for Christmas.   It’s great…. Linked up to the iPad and with Korg’s M1 app, and the Audiokit D1 app, I am in 90’s keyboard heaven.   =)
    edited January 2022
    Looks good, thanks for the heads up. 

Oh and nothing could be too amateur for me, complete newbie to keys!
    I love my brick