Tribute Bands

What's Hot
CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
Thought I would start a thread on Tribute Bands. If you know of any then please post about them.

I was scouring Youtube and came across this video. They call themselves TUSK and are a Fleetwood Mac tribute band.

These musicians are excellent. The song is The Chain and you would think you were listening to the original that's how good they are. This is their video and a link to their website.

TUSK (fleetwoodmactribute.com)

TUSK - The Chain (The World's #1 Tribute to Fleetwood Mac) - YouTube

'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm a big fan of tribute bands personally, you can hear the best songs from bands that you like, usually in a more intimate atmosphere and a lot cheaper most of the time. Not been to any for an age though.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    “Pete Loaf” ftw…

https://youtu.be/-xW5gsbWoTA

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    edited January 2022
    I know a guy in "Faux-asis" in Dubai. I think their best vids are on facebook but that's blocked from the work laptop. 

I must admit I thought the Fleetwood Mac tribute in the OP were extremely tight but very stiff - really lacked the soul and feel of the original (and the guy's using a bloody pick FFS!). A lot of otherwise great tributes have the same problem.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    poopot said:
    “Pete Loaf” ftw…

https://youtu.be/-xW5gsbWoTA

For the win on name alone it has to be "Close To Tears"!  I'm hoping they thought of the name first and then decided they had to start a tribute band.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I’m going to Butlins for a tribute band weekend next month (Covid allowing) . Butlins not normally my thing but Beatles, stones, Bowie, red hot chilli peppers, Guns N’ Roses, oasis and the like. 

Will be different : )
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think I got the name wrong last time I mentioned them on here but Queen Extravaganza who are the ‘official’ Queen tribute band. Their set is more balanced toward the older material than Queen themselves do which suits me. Also none of the dressing up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    https://youtu.be/-gHZ7xuVkQI

I think this is the gig I went to although it seems more recent in my memory. The slightly apathetic singalong bit seems right though! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I remember seeing “guns 2 roses” a few years back and think it was laughable… was a bit sad, they were all dressed up like gnr but nowhere even close to a decent approximation of the real band…
    I’ve seen covers bands in pubs do better versions of the songs…
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    edited January 2022
    I would often rather go see a good tribute than the real thing, which usually involves driving a long way and being ripped off for parking, booking fees, drinks etc, before straining to see the band from half a mile away through a forest of phones. I can see a tribute locally for much less cost and hassle, in a smaller venue.

I have been Keef in a Stones tribute and I’m currently one of two guitarists (previously bass player) in Bowie tribute Rebel Heroes. I’ve also depped on bass in Dire Streets and Slyde (can you guess?) My experience has generally been good. If you love the music you’re playing then it’s a real treat.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited January 2022

... I must admit I thought the Fleetwood Mac tribute in the OP were extremely tight but very stiff - really lacked the soul and feel of the original ...

I think this would apply to most if not all tribute acts. My thoughts are that all musicians, or collectively as a band, have their own playing style unique to them. Tribute acts could come close but would never be the same as an original act. Having said that, the musicians in the video I posted are damn good.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    My favourite tribute - Two tributes for the price of one

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Musicwolf said:
    My favourite tribute - Two tributes for the price of one

So brilliant! Made my year so far. Thanks for posting.

munckee said:
    I’m going to Butlins for a tribute band weekend next month (Covid allowing) . Butlins not normally my thing but Beatles, stones, Bowie, red hot chilli peppers, Guns N’ Roses, oasis and the like. 

Will be different : )
    Who are the Beatles tribute? One of my oldest mates plays Ringo in and manages "The Beatles for Sale". 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited January 2022
    Another plus one for the Queen Extravaganza, especially when they had Mark Martel on vocals

The Kate Bush tribute, Cloudbusting are great, especially if you catch them at a small venue like The Half Moon, Putney.  Whilst I've not seen Danny1969's KB Tribute band, I've heard good things about them

Toto tribute ,Child's Anthem and Boston/Styx tribute, Bostyx 

The Classic Rock Show are fabulous. Tickets are a little pricey but it's a big band and production and it's a joy to see Pete Thorn in the band and there's other bands from around the world that do a generic mix of rock stuff like Leonid & Friends and and there's another similar one from the US called HSCC Band but that's a mix of everything

• Keefy said:
    I would often rather go see a good tribute than the real thing, which usually involves driving a long way and being ripped off for parking, booking fees, drinks etc, before straining to see the band from half a mile away through a forest of phones. I can see a tribute locally for much less cost and hassle, in a smaller venue.

I have been Keef in a Stones tribute and I’m currently one of two guitarists (previously bass player) in Bowie tribute Rebel Heroes. I’ve also depped on bass in Dire Streets and Slyde (can you guess?) My experience has generally been good. If you love the music you’re playing then it’s a real treat.
    Just to follow on….I’ve seen Rebel Heroes a few times now and they’re bloody marvellous!
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Keefy said:

Just to follow on….I’ve seen Rebel Heroes a few times now and they’re bloody marvellous!
    Thanks Mark!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I walked past a pub in Stirchley in Brum once and there was a poster outside saying "Ian the Goat sings Black Fucking Sabbath".

So naturally I went in and it was excellent, and hilarious without being disrespectful.

It remains the only tribute band I've ever seen. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I walked past a pub in Stirchley in Brum once and there was a poster outside saying "Ian the Goat sings Black Fucking Sabbath".

So naturally I went in and it was excellent, and hilarious without being disrespectful.

Ian is a well known local figure, he used to front Goats Don't Shave which had, IIRC, the brother of Blue Peter presenter Sarah Greene on drums. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    p90fool said:

With me old mate Stu Clarke ( rip ) on guitar ... !
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 108
    edited January 2022
    I found these a few days ago, and really like them - pretty authentic Budgie covers (which is admittedly a fairly niche area, without a huge amount of competition), and admittedly not lookalikes, but I've loved Budgie since I was a kid, so...

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    I haven't seen these guys for a few years now, but they are a fantastic Steely Dan tribute:

http://www.nearlydan.co.uk/index.html

I took my Dad to see them for his 80th birthday at Preston Guildhall.  Bloody hell, that must have been 2005!  :o

It seems they're still playing, too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom