Cab Pairing with a Marshall SV20H? (Marshall 1974CX vs 1936GD1)

What's Hot
ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 420
Hi All, 

I have the opportunity to pick up a Marshall 1974cx cab for a very good price to pair with my SV20H. Currently using the head with a closed back 1936GD1 which has two standard greenbacks that I do like, but the cab is bulky, so the idea of a 1x12 is appealing. It also has a different kind of greenback that seems to get a good amount of praise online about, although not sure how much of this is just hype due to its scarcity. 

Has anyone ever used a 1974cx who could comment on how this might sound vs the 1936 style cab. 

I have an Ironman Mini that I always use and I don't fully crank the amp - would I be risking the 20w greenback in the 1974cx under these circumstances?

Many thanks in advance!

Ryan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    As long as you’re attenuating it will be fine - even at the first step below bypass. It would *just about* be safe without it - Celestion ratings are quite conservative, and you can pretty much use an amp of the speaker’s rated power - but that’s an expensive speaker to take the chance with.

The smaller open-back cab should sound more midrangy and vibrant, more ‘vintage’ for want of a better description! Probably not as much ‘thump’ at the bottom end even at low volume, but that may be a good thing. I would definitely try it, the worst case is that you have to sell it on…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's good enough for me! Thanks @ICBM ; :)

Will report back with results :+1: 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    If you get it, and find it's a bit bass-light or quiet compared to the 2x12", you could always fix both those and make the power handling completely safe as well by swapping the speaker for a Heritage G12H-30, which are truly great-sounding with this type of amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    If you get it, and find it's a bit bass-light or quiet compared to the 2x12", you could always fix both those and make the power handling completely safe as well by swapping the speaker for a Heritage G12H-30, which are truly great-sounding with this type of amp.
    Oh lovely, I actually have a pair of these in storage. Thanks again for the advice! 
  • @ICBM - you were spot on with your suggestion on how the 1974cx would sound. The greenback in that cab really works with the plexi for me, so going to keep this configuration. I know they're expensive at RRP, but this cab has really impressed me, especially given how small it is!

This is the second time around for me owning the SV20, the first time I ran it through a 2061cx with G12H30's. Even though I loved that setup, I think prefer the 1974cx for my taste. Too bad I sold it on, would have been nice to A/B the two.