Thornton Heath - The Cradle Of Punk ?

DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7117
Saw this earlier and thought it was a really good read . My grandparents lived in Fort Neath for a time and I remember it being very dull tbh - there was obviously a lot more going on than I realised !

https://soulcitywanderer.com/2021/12/24/sound-of-a-suburb/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099

there was obviously a lot more going on than I realised !

Yep… stabbings, drug deals… you name it… overspill from the cronx innit!…
  • poopot said:

there was obviously a lot more going on than I realised !

Yep… stabbings, drug deals… you name it… overspill from the cronx innit!…
    Yes I must admit that it’s not somewhere I’d like to hang out late at night nowadays . 

I’ve long since moved out of South London but occasionally go back to watch the mighty Palace but I’m safely back on the motorway before the ‘nighttime economy’ properly kicks in.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    I lived there from 1988 to 1996.  Railway and Telegraph mentioned in the article was a favourite pub of ours.  Never saw any trouble all the time I was there.  Regularly out late at night, walking to and from the Cartoon in Croydon, or the Gun Tavern. Not saying it wasn't a bum hole of a place though!
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Just a place with a station to me. Usually alight there to walk to Palace- not to watch Palace, you understand, but to see my team beat them. I believe the train from Clapham to TH passes through Bal-ham, Gateway to the South. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Lots of painfully familiar stuff there.

One interesting curio: Captain Sensible went to the same school as Stormzy. Obviously not quite at the same time, and technically* not the same administrative entity because it had changed names and organization in between, but I like the idea that they were both schooled in the same building.

And of course, I only know this because I'm also an alumnus of that august establishment.

* Those in the know will see what I did there. ;)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I did work experience at a graphic designers in TH. I thought it was alright. At least they had a Wimpy! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    I did my apprenticeship at Neil’s Guitar Workshop in Whitehorse Road  in Thornton Heath.

I’ve looked after the guitars for the guys in Johnny Moped for quite a while now 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Redlester said:
    Just a place with a station to me. Usually alight there to walk to Palace- not to watch Palace, you understand, but to see my team beat them. I believe the train from Clapham to TH passes through Bal-ham, Gateway to the South. 
    You've been on the train with that driver!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Thornton Heath is a long way from Detroit or New York
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Philly_Q said:
    Redlester said:
    No, but if there is a driver who references it, then good on him. 

I know it though the Peter Sellers skit. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Redlester said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Redlester said:

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that!  This particular driver keeps up a running banter through each station, plus some comment on Southern Trains management policies... but I guess he pinched the "Bal-ham" bit from Sellers.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Check out "Basically, Johnny Moped" on Netflix if you get a chance. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Philly_Q said:
    Redlester said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Redlester said:

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that!  This particular driver keeps up a running banter through each station, plus some comment on Southern Trains management policies... but I guess he pinched the "Bal-ham" bit from Sellers.
    There was an announcer at Raynes Pk station with a West Indian accent who always announced the next stop as ‘Wimbleydon’. 

Used to make me smile every morning. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to