Fun Music Making Tool / DAW

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
I bought Korg Gadget on the Switch on a bit of a whim and quite enjoyed making a silly electronic track. 

It's a little bit limited, but was nice to do something musical.

At one point I had a whole DAW recording setup with Sonar then Reaper, but that machine is dead and the firewire interface is obsolete.

I actually don't find a Windows PCs a very creative place to be anyway.

I'd like a Teenage Engineering OP-1 or something like that, but they are stupidly expensive and I'd probably use it for about 10 minutes a month.

Sadly I don't have an iPad, or I'd get the version of Gadget on there which is much more fully featured.

My work machine is a Mac and though I can't really install my own stuff on there I could potentially dick about with Garage Band.

Any other suggestions for things that are fun and musical and creative?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Korg Kaossilator (iOS or Android) and Moog Model D (iOS) apps are both fun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Buy a second hand iPad or phone purely for music. Korg gadget and a Korg nano key studio ( £130 ish) or similar small midi controller and you’ve got something that can fit in your glovebox.
    Not much of an outlay and very capable in the right hands.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    kin said:
    Buy a second hand iPad or phone purely for music. Korg gadget and a Korg nano key studio ( £130 ish) or similar small midi controller and you’ve got something that can fit in your glovebox.
    Not much of an outlay and very capable in the right hands.

That Nano key studio looks great and it comes with a few basic software licenses to get you going.
    Looks like exactly what I need. I think even on the laptop that would make things more fun and creative.
  • There’s a whole load of groove boxes that are worth investigating. I’ve enjoyed the Model:Cycles and the sampler version looks fun too. You can throw together mini little beats on most no issue, and yet there’s often a lot of depth to them

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Definitely suggest something battery powered. Akai MPC Live? Korg Electribe E2S?

Or perhaps that new Roland MV1 thingy.
    tFB Trader
    I'm really liking the look of the Circuit Tracks:

Looks like a really fun creative tool to just jam out with.
    tFB Trader
    Ordered a Circuit Tracks!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How did the circuit tracks go? Is it enough by itself, I see lots of videos with extra gear attached, is it self contained enough?
    tFB Trader
    Zonular said:
    How did the circuit tracks go? Is it enough by itself, I see lots of videos with extra gear attached, is it self contained enough?

I really like it, it's super fun.

Is to if it's enough, it depends what you want to create. 

It's got two polyphonic synth tracks, 2 midi / mixer tracks and 4 one shot sample channels. 

The one shot channels have sample flipping, but they don't have pitch shifting so without an additional synth or doing something annoying like sampling in every single note you can only have two melodic parts. 

If it had pitching on the sample channels it would be perfect as it is for me, but I've also recently bought an Argon8 which fulfils my additional synth needs.

There isn't really anything else at the price that does what it does. 

The circuit rhythm has the advanced sample functionality, but no synths or mixer. 

The Model:Cycles and Model:Samples are supposedly very good and even less expensive, but they are less user friendly and have no polyphonic, or mixer tracks. 

The MC-101 / MC-707, Polyend Tracker, Digitakt and Digitone all do a lot more, but are significantly more complex and expensive.

The MPC One / Live II look amazing, but they seem to be almost approaching a DAW so maybe it becomes pointless at that point.
  • What sort of styles are you getting into, I'm looking for an easy way to make ambient drone idm stuff. Don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree
    tFB Trader
    Zonular said:
    What sort of styles are you getting into, I'm looking for an easy way to make ambient drone idm stuff. Don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree

This sort of thing?

• Korg Kaossilator (iOS or Android) and Moog Model D (iOS) apps are both fun
    I love the Model D app. The Animoog Z one is also fun to tinker with.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • Love it!