1Q22 Challenge Guitargeek62 amp makeover

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
edited January 2022 in Making & Modding
Well it’s been far too long since I got involved properly in one of these. I have a long list of unfinished (and unstarted!) projects, so let’s add one more to it! mrgreen 

My challenge is pretty straightforwards, I’m going to build a mini-head cabinet to transplant my Marshall Reverb 12 chassis into. The stock combo comes with an internal 8” speaker which hampers the tone, plugging the same amp straight into my G12H creamback-loaded Zilla sounds superbly JCM800-esque and at very usable home volumes, so that’s the way this one will be left!

I’ll see what timbers I can get locally, as a solid cab with a stain/oil finish could be interesting, otherwise I’ll go for simple tolex ply construction in traditional Marshall fashion. 

My stretch goal will be to replace the faceplates with silver/brushed alu ones and turn it into a Jubilee-esque mini-head.

*edit* Current state:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice one! Looking forward to seeing this one 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Watching with interest, I need to do something similar
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    edited January 2022
    Here's my initial list of assumptions, materials and tools for the job - I'm open to suggestions as I'm sure there are other/better ways of doing it!

Assumptions:
    • A head cab is theoretically less susceptible to vibration than a combo/speaker cab, so I could get away with reinforced box joints if I wanted to - particularly on a tolexed cab. However, I'll likely finger-joint it instead.
    • Head cab will use ¾" thick materials.
    • Dimensions and plans will follow that of the original combo, albeit reduced in height.
    Materials:
    • ¾" ply / walnut, oak, maple, or wenge (I can get the hardwoods easily enough from a local flooring company)
    • Silver tolex + adhesive
    • White piping
    • Fixings
    • Mesh grille (rear)
    • Custom faceplates x2
    • Corners x4
    • Handle
    • Feet x4
    • Beers
    Tools:
    • Clamps
    • MDF for templates
    • Straight-edge
    • Set-square
    • Dovetail saw / dovetail jig
    • Router (I only have a basic one these days, but it'll do the job... I think)
    • Titebond

What've I missed? :mrgreen: 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28439

What've I missed? :mrgeen:
    Beer for when the job’s done.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

What've I missed? :mrgeen:
    Beer for when the job’s done.
    Now corrected!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    edited January 2022
    3/4 inch radius router bit for the corners/edges
    Heat gun can help for the tolex
  • ICBM said:

[RE: Lead 12] A G10 Greenback sounds great in them - and it's a 16-ohm speaker, very unusually for a solid-state amp. (The Lead 12 was 8-ohm - I don't know why they changed it.) You can actually get a 12" in the cabinet if you're determined!

If you're interested in tweaking the amp part, fit the resistor (R4, 10K) which is missing from the preamp board near the input end - it adds a bit more bottom-end chunk. Why they wanted to take it away I don't know...
    @ICBM - I found this again on a Lead 12 thread - do you know if the same applies to the Reverb 12 please? I wouldn't mind tweaking the circuit a smidge too if possible, largely to add a little more treble (perhaps a presence control, somehow?) when running it through a G12H creamback.

I'm also not sure what ohms the 8" speaker was in my 5205 combo, and probably should have checked that before plugging into my Zilla 1x12! :open_mouth: 

I've started actually reading the NEETs course as well so that I can begin to understand something about electronics and try to work out what component does what to the signal path. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    guitargeek62 said:

@ICBM - I found this again on a Lead 12 thread - do you know if the same applies to the Reverb 12 please? I wouldn't mind tweaking the circuit a smidge too if possible, largely to add a little more treble (perhaps a presence control, somehow?) when running it through a G12H creamback.
    R4 is missing on the Reverb 12, not the Lead 12. I haven't checked what would need to be done to add treble (no idea why you'd want to even with a dark speaker!) but it must be possible.

I'm also not sure what ohms the 8" speaker was in my 5205 combo, and probably should have checked that before plugging into my Zilla 1x12! :open_mouth:
    The 5205 is 16 ohm, I think even in the 8" version. If your Zilla is 8 ohm, be thankful that Marshall overbuilt the amp ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers @ICBM, and yes - the Zilla’s 8ohm, how stupid of me! I’ll look into ways to mod that too - I don’t think there’s any taps on the transformer, so I guess that’d need to change.

It doesn’t sound particularly dark btw, just needs a but more presence at lower volumes. When it’s cooking a little it sounds superb!