Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking about a handmade acoustic...

What's Hot
Hi all,

I have just been lucky enough to come into an amount of money sufficient to cover one of my dreams - a handmade acoustic.
I'm interested in an OM size or similar. I am primarily a fingerstyle player, but I do use a pick sometimes.
I've played Atkins before, and loved them. I have also heard good things about Kinkade and Brooke. 
I love the american type sound and I play with a thumb pick mostly. Its not easy to try before you buy so...how does one decide?
Help and advice gratefully received.

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited January 2022
    Im a slightly biased Brook   "fan" for obvious reasons,  but even so - the style of guitar might not suit,  "off the shelf"  they come with wide-ish flat-ish necks and not to everyones taste.  They're very lightly built , and resonant.  You can of course ask them to make one with a bespoke profile neck, but then you need to know what you want and define it to them and of course have a waiting list.

Saying that - I was blown away by the tone of a Furch OM,  5 years ago and bought it on a "whim" even tho the neck is a little uncomfortable now (soft V)

There are brands that some rave about, (cole clarke for instance)  but not for me  - the two I played had horrible necks/fretboards were very inorganic and  utterly sterile and only came alive plugged in (but I believe that's where their market lies over here)  

Of course budget will dictate/eliminate some areas 

You say its not easy to "try before you buy"  can I ask why is that ?    my real,  honest personal advice would be,   go and try try  try as many makes and types as you can  -     you really cannot beat finding the right one yourself
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    when you say handmade, do you mean that or custom made? It is entirely possible to try a handmade guitar (you could visit the maker, or go somewhere with a load of high end guitars). It is harder to try a custom guitar but by visiting the maker you could try out there standard item and talk with them about how your custom tweaks will effect the end product. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited January 2022
    I'm never happy recommending a brand. I'd say, as @bertie, go and try some. Even if it's only one day, it will give you some idea. If I was pressed, I'd say Atkin or Brook. There's also Alan Marshall of Northworthy Guitars in Derby, A.J.Lucas - and if you're feeling flush, Sobell  
    what were the two Mags had made,  German luthier IIRC - lovely instruments,  but ££
  • bertie said:
    what were the two Mags had made,  German luthier IIRC - lovely instruments,  but ££
    Was it Wechter?
    ^^  I think you might be right there mate,   very nice jobbies they were too
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    Bertie's advice is good. 

If you are going for something custom-made (and why not?), I think it is important to play some examples of the builder's prior work, and to work with a builder you feel comfortable with and confident in.

If I liked the American sound (which I don't), Cole Clark would be somewhere near the bottom of my list. On a point of detail,  they are not hand made, indeed they are notable for extensive use of CNC. Apart from being only the standard 44mm width, the six-strings  have  lovely necks, especially the expensive 3-Series models (which naturally have more hands-on craftsmanship than the cheap ones, but are still CNC babies). The Cole Clark 12-string profile I dislike (too flat and too square). The many different models vary enormously because of the wide range of timbers used. This is intentional. They are all different - playing the exact model before buying is essential.

@bertie I'm interested in your comment that Brook standard necks are wide. Their website doesn't provide specs. (I ask because I've been making mental note of makers who offer nice roomy necks as standard. I've pretty much decided not to buy any more guitars which don't have wide necks. I can cope with the standard 44 and 44.5mm widths, but I always play better where my fingers have some room.)

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11674
    Thinking about a handmade acoustic...
    That a euphemism?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    Tannin said:

@bertie I'm interested in your comment that Brook standard necks are wide. Their website doesn't provide specs. (I ask because I've been making mental note of makers who offer nice roomy necks as standard. I've pretty much decided not to buy any more guitars which don't have wide necks. I can cope with the standard 44 and 44.5mm widths, but I always play better where my fingers have some room.)

@Tannin ;the “standard” Brook neck width is 44mm for a flathead and 45mm for a slothead. But they will make to any width you prefer. 
  • gsix14gsix14 Frets: 4
    This recent series of videos from That Pedal Show might be of interest. They document the process of a Kinkade being made guitar by hand.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    If i had 5k plus it would be a turnstone without a shadow of a doubt 
  • Try a Collings..
  • gsix14 said:
    This recent series of videos from That Pedal Show might be of interest. They document the process of a Kinkade being made guitar by hand.

And what a glorious sounding guitar too.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    Thanks @drofluf
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Tannin said:

it might be the "shallowness" of the neck, that makes the fretboard appear "wide"   -  certainly feels wider than others Ive owned/own/played  but not "uncomfortably so   -  it still feels more "acoustic" than Taylors Ive owned (612 and a 614) that are more "electric trying to be acoustic"   if that makes sense

I tend to judge things on "feel" rather than data sheet specs,  UNLESS its something I particularly dislike/like  then I  make a mental note 
  • It was those TPS vids that inspired this thread actually.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Coda in Hitchin have a dedicated acoustic store with most of the above mentioned brands, that can’t be to far from you in the midlands. Richards guitars too in Stratford are Furch importers but check they have stock before popping over.
    for the amount of spend you are considering it is worth putting in the effort to get it right.
    It also pays to understand the setup changes that can be done to stock guitars, they tend to have slightly high action for example. It can pay dividends to take a reliable guitar playing friend for advise, calm your excitement and play guitars for you to hear projection and listeners tone. Sorry if you already know all this but I add it for others that may follow you thread.
    good luck and enjoy the hunt.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    I'd recommend calling Avalon 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    edited January 2022
    I am still learning about the high end custom build market but have over the last few years played some of the solo luthier builds in stores that stock them. 

I think it’s important to define what you mean by hand built are we talking top end of factory builds say Taylor Martin still a lot of hand building. Or small factory build like Atkin, Beorgois,Collins, Santa Cruz 
    or the solo artisan luthiers at the top end like Turnstone, Bashkin and a whole host of others I would suggest you perhaps reach out to @carlos  of ths parish Istr he has owned and played many a fine luthier built instrument.

At the high end you are usually talking about
    a good 2 year waiting list and these guys tend to build 6-12 guitars per year. 

I did notice over Christmas that Turnstone have a couple of stock builds of their OM sized model that look very nice and they do make a lovely guitar which would save on the normal waiting list.

https://www.turnstoneguitar.co.uk/tm-indian-rosewood-spruce-acoustic-guitar

As has been said the best thing is to phone around and get out and play a few from the small factory and solo luthiers and see what takes your fancy. The one thing I got was at this level they are all very different tonally and a very different world to a top end factory guitar. Coda acoustic store looks very nice and is on my day out list at some point.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Thanks for tagging me @Jez6345789 but I definitely am not the right person to talk about high end luthier acoustics. You must have confused me with someone else, I'm afraid.