Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking about a handmade acoustic...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 702
    Bear in mind there are a number of places that stock Brook guitars - Project Music in Exeter, and Coda being two who normally have a selection of their instruments. Whilst I'm loving playing the Lowden I purchased from Bruce here, I get an instant smile the moment I take the Brook Taw out of its case and play a few notes -just so light and responsive :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the advice guys:
    1. I mean small builder, not necessarily 100% handmade...maybe its pure vanity, and I do have a few specific requirements, but I like the idea of something that isn't just your standard Martin...something at least slightly unique. Maybe its a bit daft and I should just shush and play a martin Om35, but its fun to explore.
    2. Brook is sadly off the table because I cannot drive and cannot get anywhere near their shop on public transport lol. Atkin is super far away but maybe somewhere more local to Birmingham carries them.

I have heard good things about Santa Cruz but jesus wept they are big money due to importation lol.
    Other advice mentioned in this thread is appreciated.

RE Brook, they deliver without any worries, they have dealers around the country though, including Coda Music, Project Music, Intersound, Mak's Guitars to name a few.  Some of these shops also stock Atkin and so on. So even if a trip to Devon is out of the question, if you find yourself in London or something, try to find a shop which has a few of them in stock to try them out.

On the subject of Brook, on another forum I occasionally post on, a user is selling one of his Brook's, and he's near Manchester.
    Maybe you could visit him to try the guitar if needs be?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited January 2022
    Thanks for all the advice guys:
    1. I mean small builder, not necessarily 100% handmade...maybe its pure vanity, and I do have a few specific requirements, but I like the idea of something that isn't just your standard Martin...something at least slightly unique. Maybe its a bit daft and I should just shush and play a martin Om35, but its fun to explore.
    2. Brook is sadly off the table because I cannot drive and cannot get anywhere near their shop on public transport lol. Atkin is super far away but maybe somewhere more local to Birmingham carries them.

I have heard good things about Santa Cruz but jesus wept they are big money due to importation lol.

two things  -   there are shops that stock "off the shelf"  Brooks   -  Ivor Mairants for instance in Londinium (easy train journey ?)  there is a shop just up the road from me in South Glos (Dursley) but not sure how easy it would be for you to get to

PMT - when it was Sound Control, used to stock Santa Cruz,  don't know if they still do - but there may be other outlets ? (maybe Ivors again ?)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited January 2022

Can I just point out that something "slightly unique" will be difficult to sell in the future if you want to move it on.
    You can rule out Brook if you want the American sound, surely there is a big guitar store somewhere near you? Or as I already mentioned, take a weekend away in the Netherlands and visit TFOA for the best stock of good guitars in Europe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitarguitar normally have a few Atkins in stock (Hagley Rd Birmingham) plus all the other top brands.Call them first as the stock you see on the website is usually located across all their outlets.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Warblington ; that's where I purchased my Martin HD28. Great bunch of lads who will stick the kettle on for you as you try guitars. The shop is run by Mikey and Glen :) 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Guitarguitar normally have a few Atkins in stock (Hagley Rd Birmingham) plus all the other top brands.Call them first as the stock you see on the website is usually located across all their outlets.
    Yes, I went in yesterday to see if they had any Atkins in stock.  They didn't, but I was told they could get them delivered from their other stores if you let them know which ones you want to try. 
  • Mellish said:
    @Warblington ; that's where I purchased my Martin HD28. Great bunch of lads who will stick the kettle on for you as you try guitars. The shop is run by Mikey and Glen :) 
    Spot on, very friendly and accommodating.
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    I’ve had a bespoke Pete Turner resonator made for me 2 years ago. At the time I really didn’t know what I wanted other than nut and neck profile and left it to him. He asked questions and I got a great guitar that is unique and mine. Since then I’ve bought and played a fair few high end acoustics and only now have a better idea of what it is I want. And have bought things I realise are not what I want anymore hence getting sold. 
    I have a Turnstone coming and the process of visiting and talking with Rosie and then playing her examples is great. I’m in a better position now to make a good decision than the original resonator that I got lucky with. 
    I’ve also visited Ralph Bown up in York. Seeing and meeting the builders is great as lots have attested to before. 
    So in summary, if you want one built for you go and visit the luthier and talk with them. It’s a unique experience you don’t get just buying off the shelf. Not to say however that off the shelf is bad. Just different. 
  • Thanks for all the advice guys:

Intersound in Dursley (near Gloucester - there is a train station there) have a few brooks in at the moment, Larrivees, Audens, Toons, and a couple of furchs.

Might be worth a trip to help narrow things down a bit.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited January 2022

Intersound in Dursley (near Gloucester - there is a train station there) have a few brooks in at the moment, Larrivees, Audens, Toons, and a couple of furchs.

Might be worth a trip to help narrow things down a bit.
    Steve, Denver and the guys are super friendly and helpful too,  its where I got my Furch
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.