Thoughts on 70's Guild D40? ...or suggestions for a comfortable strummer with quick attack

What's Hot
Anyone played or own/owned one? How fast is the attack for snappy rhythm playing? A mate knows someone selling a '76 D40 NT but it's a fair few hours drive to try it out. 

I'm still trying to find the right dread for my accompaniment work. I accompany a local choir doing 60's and 70's pop, soul, funk etc. 
Mainly strumming and suggesting hooks. Barre, cowboy and jazz chords, sometimes for hours on end non-stop. The percussive element is important as I'm trying to emulate the feel of a whole rhythm section in my arrangements. 

Had a Martin D28, beautiful and piano-like but the opposite of quick and snappy.

Decided mahogany would suit me better and swapped for a Gibson Hummingbird. Much more responsive to quick, snappy strumming and muting, but the short scale doesn't suit me well and if I'm honest I can't get with the decoration... I prefer a plain Jane acoustic. 

Thinking something older and livelier would probably be the ticket, happy to 'downgrade' a bit. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've had 2 Guild dreads - the 1st I foolishly sold. It was mahogany bodied and I miss it. It had a mahogany back and sides with a spruce top. Sounded like the demos on Youtube.

Today I go with a tighter sound and this second, Chinese Guild has maple back and sides. It does give a much tighter sound (or it's never going to open up). e.g.

Ultimately, it's about trying it yourself with a reasonable idea of the sound you'er after. You can change it by varying the strings, your technique or pick but the basic character will remain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    Hard to go wrong with a genuine Guild. Astonishingly, they have had no less than four unwanted transcontinental relocations in the last 20 years, losing many expert workers each time, but never lost their quality.

Take that drive. You may or may not fall in love with it, but it has to be worth a look. 

(PS: and it is an upgrade from a Gibson. :))

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Appreciate the replies, I'm going to go and take a look next week. From the clear photos he sent it seems in very good condition except lots of lacquer cracking. Definitely had at least one neck reset (which I imagine is to be expected with the age) but the action is good and plenty of meat left on the saddle. Frets good. Logo's a bit blurry; I've seen photos of other Guilds from the same era with no-so-great logo inlays, nothing to be concerned about I take it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom