Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The TU-2 is better than the TU-3

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
Someone has to say it, and alas, it seems the burden has fallen on my shoulders.

The TU-2 takes longer to lock onto the note, and it's only accurate to 3 cents. But, it doesn't fanny about, wavering up and down depending on the random fluctuations of ghosts moving between the spheres. You pluck a string. It tells you it's sharp or flat, you turn the tuning peg and the TU-2 certifies you as in tune. Off you go. And it's never wrong.

The TU-3 is very fast to give you a pitch, but it flits around. I could spend all day tuning and never be entirely satisfied. There'll always be those red lights flickering about either side of the green one. It leaves the onus on you to decide when it's good enough. And in situations where it matters enough to be that picky, I'll use my ears to fine tune anyway.

So what's the point? Fellow citizens, cast your TU-3 tuners into the flames. Rejoice in your freedom.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    Just get a Peterson otherwise tune them as close as you can and then do the relative tuning technique using beat frequency. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Devil#20 said:
    Just get a Peterson otherwise tune them as close as you can and then do the relative tuning technique using beat frequency. 

I promise you I will never do this.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    Cirrus said:
    Devil#20 said:

I promise you I will never do this.
    Why not?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Boss tuner or death 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    Bless you good sir, most kind! I have needed someone to make me feel better about the tu3 that got pinched at a gig and replaced with a s/h tu2 for years; I have always been worried that I was missing something in that single digit change (because 3 is one better than 2, just like 11 is louder than 10).
    Now I can sleep peacefully at night once more. :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    I agree.

The TU-3 is more accurate, has a Bright mode which is useful if you're going to play outside, and has a marginally more transparent buffer (I think), but I prefer the TU-2... it's simpler and quicker to tune with in practice. I had both, sold the 3.

Tried a Peterson once. Faff. Also unnecessarily big and has a switch I don't like. (And hilariously ugly, although that doesn't really matter.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1323
    edited January 2022
    prices of TU-2's to go up?!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They'll be unobtanium in a year. TPS & JHS will do hour long specials on them. Boss will release the TU-2 Waza in pink, with an extra switch that makes the buffer actually as bad as people claim it is.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My TU2 is my favourite pedal by quite some margin. 
  • Funny you should say this, I "upgraded from a battered and slightly faulty TU-2 to a Polytune a few years ago and never got on with the Polytune. Swapped the Polytune for a TU-3 just before lockdown and have had the same irritation/hankering to go back to a trust old TU-2.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    My favourite is the good old Korg DT 10.
    Accurate enough for me and doesn't waver around.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Sassafras said:
    My favourite is the good old Korg DT 10.
    Accurate enough for me and doesn't waver around.
    ooo the wooden edition was always nice to be fair
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    I have a Polytune and the TU3.

The PT is on my board.

The TU-3 is in a drawer.
    @Sassafras good shout, I used to have one too. IIRC I got rid because I was short on board space at the time, but that's a solid tuner.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    TU-3 works for me. I just accept the green light and a red one on either side is acceptable on the basis that one good strum will put it there anyway.  
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    Funny you should say this, I "upgraded from a battered and slightly faulty TU-2 to a Polytune a few years ago and never got on with the Polytune. Swapped the Polytune for a TU-3 just before lockdown and have had the same irritation/hankering to go back to a trust old TU-2.
    If you decide you want to swap the tu3 for a tu2 give me a shout, I used to do a lot of outdoor gigs and the lack of brightness in the tu2 has bothered me (not that I’ve gigged for over two years). 
  • Still got my TU-2 from 2008. Very sturdy and reliable, never let me down. Also got the Polytune which is very good too. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Polytune 3 full size here, suits me perfectly and also has quite a nice (optional via dipswitches) buffer.  Accurate to more than any guitar will ever need.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I used to have a TU-3. Twas not the dog's bollocks it purported to be.
    Now I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300, makes such damn good sense. 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    I currently use the Fender App on my PC and my shitty ears . . . I never believe the App though as the Skinny E always sounds a bit Flat . . . Definitely going to get Boss TU-2 . . . I need it  ! ! 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom