Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The TU-2 is better than the TU-3

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    Well I'm now in receipt of a new TU3 based on this thread to see if it's better than my Peterson StrobeStomp HD. It's quite a comprehensive little tuner but not sure I'd like to daisy chain the power output to a load of FX pedals from it. Proper power supply surely.

I've had a quick play with its basic tuning and one thing I did notice was it struggles a little bit tuning into E2. Gets there eventually but I'd imagine tuning to E1 on a bass guitar might be a problem. The Peterson will do this with ease.

The Peterson was showing the E2 was a bit flat on the TU3 and this was confirmed on my desktop Peterson Strobe+ HD. It's only a gnat's though. All Peterson's have an accuracy of 0.1cent compares with 3 cent for the TU2 and 2cent for the TU3.

Whilst I was about it I dug out my Chord CPT-01 that I bought off Amazon for 20 quid. It uses a lights system like the Boss. Fairly basic but good clear display. You can choose pitch and whether to flat it or not and it has a bypass and that's it. What did surprise me though is it's bloody accurate. Solid built all metal tuner. Noticed it's gone up to £27 on Amazon now but as a standby tuner it's worth having. If you leave the input jack in though it will run the battery down. 

I tested a TC electronics headstock tuner I have too and realised why I don't ever use it. It flickers all over the shop and the polytune capability is pretty sketchy too. My £8 Korg headstock single string tuner is much more useable and accurate enough for practice sessions. 

Anyway, on first impressions I prefer the Peterson and when you get those strobe circles stationary then you know it's bang in tune unlike the lights jumping around, no matter what you do. Anyway, I'll use the Boss for the time being and see what it's like with longer term use. You can never have too many tuners.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Devil#20 - is the Peterson £45 better than the Boss?

£45 is a big chuck towards another pedal, after all :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've have a handful of tuners over the years.  Still have a TU-3 and never had any issues with it.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom