What exactly does ‘line out’ mean?

RockerRocker Frets: 4980
My CD player sends a line out signal to my hi-fi amplifier. Is this the same signal level as my guitar outputs?  Or what my POD 2 sends to the FX Return of my guitar amplifier? 

Perhaps the thread title is worded badly but would sending my guitar output into a line input of my hi-fi amp work? I don’t mean sound good but actually work or produce a sound?  Likewise the output from my Xenyx microphone mixer?

Thanks. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Signals that travels through cables come in a number of standard strengths: line levels, mic levels, instrument levels and speaker levels.

Shure, the microphone manufacturer, explains it well, here. Look half way down the page for the section entitled: What is line level?
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    edited January 2022
    Whistler said:
    Signals that travels through cables come in a number of standard strengths: line levels, mic levels, instrument levels and speaker levels.

Shure, the microphone manufacturer, explains it well, here. Look half way down the page for the section entitled: What is line level?
    THat is interesting reading and probably correct, but when I worked for Toshiba as a TV development engineer nearly 25 years ago, I thought line level was a 5 volt differential signal 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Line out means designed to drive into loads of around 10K and be of a voltage level of -10 dBV prosumer gear and +4 dBU for professional studio gear  ... some gear will have a switch to choose. 

It can be single ended or balanced 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    ... and bear in mind that even within those specified ranges, there can be *huge* differences in the actual signal level, caused simply by turning up or down the volume of the source.

Sometimes you need to use trial and error, especially when connecting pieces of equipment by different manufacturers or in unconventional setups. Start with the source level low, and if there's too much noise, increase it. If there's distortion it's too high. It's *usually* pretty hard to damage anything even if you do cause distortion, but not totally impossible if you go too far, so be careful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein