Aftermarket fretboard and side dots help sought

Long story short, my leftie daughter is picking up playing again after a c. 4/5 year layoff.

Finding the strings easier on her fingers, at least for now, we've acquired a decent classical/Spanish guitar that's now been re-strung for left handed playing.

She now needs together some fretboard markers on there, as like most if not all classical guitars it didn't have them, and by flipping it the dots on the side of the neck are also invisible to her.

I can see that there are billions of fretboard stickers available on, for example eBay, s question no. 1 is whether anyone would positively recommend, or advise avoiding any in particular.

Q. 2 is whether anyone has any advice abut putting dots on the sides of the neck. I'm thinking something like one of those Tippex pens, but imagine one of those would be (a) too runny, and (b) not very durable.

All help gratefully accepted.
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you don't mind replacing them regularly, then the simple stick on dots from any stationery supplier would do. Similarly for side dots.

However, if you want permanent side dots you could use a small drill and make a recess where needed. You could then use the Tippex solution but make sure the excess is cleaned off before it sets. Experiment with a piece of varnished hardwood or similar if you can.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Get a tiny drill bit and make a shallow hole… fill it with white acrylic paint… 

or even something that can make a round dent and fill it with paint…

or just use the tipex and keep reapplying it…
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I did this with a classical guitar. I bought a length of side marker rod from the likes of StewMac and cut it in to pieces slightly longer than the holes I drilled in the edge of the board, then superglued them in. Trimmed with a craft knife and good to go. I think I may have rubbed a couple of them down and ran some lacquer over them with a rag.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090
    Depending how much prior learning she is coming back to it may be an idea for the to re-learn right-handed. If she already has a significant investment of time in learning left-handed it may not be practical, but if she's effectively starting from scratch it would save a lot of hassle in the future.

My dad is left-handed and plays guitar as such. My son is what you could only describe as VERY left-sided and has had no issues in learning right-handed. He can now use my guitars, and 90% of the guitars he'll encounter in his life. It also gives him much more choice when looking for guitars of his own. After all, many instruments aren't even available in left-handed form. Why is it such a ", thing" with guitars?
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 741
    edited January 2022
    If you don't mind replacing them regularly, then the simple stick on dots from any stationery supplier would do. Similarly for side dots.

However, if you want permanent side dots you could use a small drill and make a recess where needed. You could then use the Tippex solution but make sure the excess is cleaned off before it sets. Experiment with a piece of varnished hardwood or similar if you can.
    Totally agree. Why do unnecessary mod. I always put a little green circle sticker on side at 7th frets on classical guitars. That's enough to orientate me. Paper sticker seems to just last. Green because that's what I had in the desk! Your daughter may prefer more usual  5, 7, 9, 12 arrangement. Or anything!

Then, if she is upgrading instruments, no harm done, just remove.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    On the fretboard - Webcam covering stickers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009WSN8PK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got them on a couple of basses.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18725
    edited January 2022
    @JerkMoans  If you wanted some, I have some of these 10mm dots in red, blue, yellow or green that you can have.
    https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/niceday-coloured-labels-red-1000-labels-per-pack-p-nd182270
    I have used them for laptop web cam covering, bright LED dimming & loads of stuff including calendars & wall charts