Picking: I suspect I need a teacher to progress

Hi

So I've worked through a fair few exercises on picking speed and they've helped to an extent over the past few years.  However, there are things I wish to be able to do and which lessons/Youtube explainers simply cannot articulate well enough...or more likely, I cannot spot the flaws in my own technique.
I genuinely suspect that part of this is to due with the fact that I am totally blind. I can't watch the hands of other players, nor can I film my own practice sessions to determine what is going wrong.
So I feel I must avail myself of someone else's perceptions.
I am therefore looking for a teacher (online or in person if in Birmingham) who is able to analyse vids of my playing, find the faults and help fix them.
I would like to learn:
- Eric Johnson style pentatonic cascades;
- increased speed in a blues/country context;
crosspicking; and
better hybrid picking.

Anyone out there fit the bill, or who could recommend someone?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Hi

So I've worked through a fair few exercises on picking speed and they've helped to an extent over the past few years.  However, there are things I wish to be able to do and which lessons/Youtube explainers simply cannot articulate well enough...or more likely, I cannot spot the flaws in my own technique.
    I genuinely suspect that part of this is to due with the fact that I am totally blind. I can't watch the hands of other players, nor can I film my own practice sessions to determine what is going wrong.
    So I feel I must avail myself of someone else's perceptions.
    I am therefore looking for a teacher (online or in person if in Birmingham) who is able to analyse vids of my playing, find the faults and help fix them.
    I would like to learn:
    - Eric Johnson style pentatonic cascades;
    - increased speed in a blues/country context;
    crosspicking; and
    better hybrid picking.

Anyone out there fit the bill, or who could recommend someone?

Thanks
    Online lessons with Levi Clay would be my recommendation. He’s a first class educator, will be very familiar with the material you’re interested in and tech savvy enough to know/find a way to work with your visual challenges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh that's a great shout actually! His Youtube channel is first rate. Thanks!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    edited January 2022
    Misread your post so I’ve deleted my comment as it’s bugger all help!

Andy Wood is worth a listen.