Introducing........ Blackbird Guitar Cabs - January discount for Fretboard members!

What's Hot
BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 17
edited January 14 in Made in the UK
Hi Fretboard users,

My name is Sam, and I've recently started up my own bespoke guitar cabinet business. My background is as a cabinetmaker in London, and after many years of indecision and procrastinating me and my partner have finally bitten the bullet and moved our lives and family down to North Devon.
I've taken the opportunity to re-focus my woodworking skills to something I'm passionate about - guitar cabs. There's something so cool about crafting an object that is going to be used and loved (as opposed to, say, a kitchen cupboard!), and the aesthetics of guitar amps is such a great tradition to explore and tinker with.
I know there are a handful of UK businesses out there doing something similar - I'm hoping there are enough amp enthusiasts, DIY kit builders, and woodwork admirers out there for me to carve out a little niche in the market.

Above is an example of my work - hopefully it communicates my love of timber and my desire to let beautiful wood be the star of the show. You can find more pics at www.blackbirdcabs.com.
That's my take on guitar cab design - but I can build whatever your imagination can dream up! My only caveat is that I don't plan on going down the Tolex or Tweed route. There are enough people out there doing that already, and doing it really well.

I'll be back in a day or two with a special offer for Fretboard users (I've been using the forum as a resource for guitar and amp info for a while now, so I already feel indebted!). In the meantime, check out the website if you get a chance and feel free to post any questions here or to me directly.

Cheers,
Sam

Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
www.blackbirdcabs.com
sam@blackbirdcabs.com
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 2674
    Looking good there Sam.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 5264
    Good luck with the new venture :)
    We should all probably bear in mind more when posting on here (and I don't exclude myself from this) that the guitar world is very small, the Fretboard is quite well known, and it is not uncommon at all for the subjects of our posts to read them...
  • Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated =)
    www.blackbirdcabs.com
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com
  • bertiebertie Frets: 3071
    you do realise its tradition that you have to send test samples to the first 5 replies
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 8141
    bertie said:
    you do realise its tradition that you have to send test samples to the first 5 replies
    Helloooooo. Phew, just got in under the freebie ligging wire  ;)

@BlackbirdCabs  Only kidding Sam, much good luck with your new venture :+1: 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 10010
    Looks very nice. Good luck with the new venture! 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 281
    Welcome and the best of luck with this venture. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 14766
    tFB Trader
    Good luck chap, hope it goes brilliantly.
  • Thanks all, this forum is such an oasis of genuine goodwill amongst the rest of the internet!
    I'm just doing some sums/head scratching and working out the best way to offer a worthwhile discount to the fretboard community - will be back in touch over the next few days.
    www.blackbirdcabs.com
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com
  • BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 17
    edited January 14
    OK, so how's this to go with your Friday afternoon sunshine................

As one of those non-members who lurk in the background, this forum has already been a really valuable source of knowledge for me, pointing me in the direction of amp builders, pickup makers, and general guitar info. It's also lost me many wasted hours reading entertaining waffle, but I'm willing to look past that.
    I'm keen to put down roots in the Fretboard community and would love to be able to start some projects with members here. Word of mouth recomendations via this forum would be such a bonus for me (as I can see they have been for other makers). Hopefully I can also be a helpful source of woodworking knowledge for those of you keen to put your own cabinets together.
    I also appreciate that I'm a new member here and as such I'm an unknown quantity.

With the above in mind I'm offering a 30% discount for Fretboard members for any commissions throughout January.

This could be to house a small head or a 4x12 midlife crisis - it could be pine, ply, walnut, zebrawood or whatever else we can get our hands on - get in touch and I'd be happy to talk through any inklings of ideas you might have for your set up.
    Go to the website for a bit of inspiration if needed!

Send me a message through the forum or e-mail me directly with your fretboard username if you're interested - I can get back to you with a rough guide to prices that way as well.

Cheers,

Sam

www.blackbirdcabs.com
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is wonderful, best of luck, Sam. The speaker cabs look great.
  • vizviz Frets: 8499
    edited January 16
    Timber Timbre, if you’re looking for a name 
    Anything that isn’t pentatonic is pretentious wank -  LastMantra
    more on the strength of my ability to own a PA than to play a guitar” - ICBM
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken. Better to sound like an individual than a clone” - Merlin
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 166
    North Devon is nice place to live, I'm just outside barnstaple. Where about are you (if you don't mind me asking). Good luck with the new venture :)
  • viz said:
    Timber Timbre, if you’re looking for a name 

Maybe I'll save that one for my bespoke tambourine business, then I can really go to town: Timber Timbre Tambos
    www.blackbirdcabs.com
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDS said:
    North Devon is nice place to live, I'm just outside barnstaple. Where about are you (if you don't mind me asking). Good luck with the new venture :)

Hi KDS, I'm up in Ilfracombe, which on a day like today is amazing. Good to hear from a fellow Devonian (Devon-ite?) - I might get in touch further down the line, I'm still trying to get a sense of the music scene down here, it would be good to make some connections with other guitarists etc.
    www.blackbirdcabs.com
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com