Multimedia or FRFR speakers for bass?

I don't play a great deal these days due to wrist issues and recent downsizing has meant I've reassessed my amp requirements for playing bass at home. Got out my old 1/4" Sony Tape Recorder which has a really pleasing sweet sound when used as a pre-amp and is stereo. Currently I'm using a pair of small multimedia speakers that (I think) I got at Maplins about 15 years ago. The mid and upper range sounds excellent but predictably they're somewhat lacking in bass push. The Sony is putting out the full range of sound as playing through headphones sounds gorgeous (and very trippy with stereo tremolo!)

Can anyone recommend a pair of powered speakers that fit this scenario, pref under 300? They don't need to be loud but I'd like the full spectrum of sound. I don't know anything about this type of tech (had to google FRFR) and the range of stuff out there is bewildering. Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Sure you can. If you get, for example, something like this subwoofer (which has stereo ins and outs), two of this PA speaker plus cables then you can achieve a stereo FRFR home setup ready for your bass guitar and everything else for under £300.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited January 2022
    Whistler said:
    Sure you can. If you get, for example, something like this subwoofer (which has stereo ins and outs), two of this PA speaker plus cables then you can achieve a stereo FRFR home setup ready for your bass guitar and everything else for under £300.
    Thanks for the link. I hadn't considered a three speaker setup, although I'm sure it would sound excellent. Ideally I'd like to get just a stereo pair but perhaps such small drivers are not capable of giving full on bass? That said, I know Phil Jones do 4" drivers in their bass combos.

Please excuse such a basic query but how would I integrate the 15" bass unit you linked to? My tape deck has stereo phono outs but these are in use already; could I use a splitter cable or is a mixer required? Thinking on it, it sounds like a good idea as I like the sound I'm getting from my current speakers - they just need some added bass which the 15" would probably do admirably.

Edit: I just noticed the bass unit has in and out which answers my query.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited January 2022
    JezWynd said:
    I'd like to get just a stereo pair but perhaps such small drivers are not capable of giving full on bass?
    The two things to look out for are:
    1, whether any speakers you are looking at go down to at least 40Hz as that is the low E on a 4-string bass; and
    2, whether they can handle to power necessary so that you can hear a bass guitar at a volume you are happy with. Listening to a recording is a different experience to playing an instrument, psychologically, and bass needs more power because while high frequencies are focussed like a laser, low frequencies radiate out from the bass speaker in a circular shape - hence why one bass speaker can work with two speakers (containing tweeters and woofers). This is why your cables go into the subwoofer as it contains the crossovers and only sends mid and higher frequencies out to the main speakers.

What you are wanting to do is certainly possible with a pair of speakers, just don't assume that any pair will be up to the job.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Thanks for your detailed reply @Whistler, it’s very helpful.