1Q22 Challenge - Knob Twiddling

What's Hot

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2934
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16661
    So according to that it would be best to vibrate from inside the resin.

I can probably fashion a probe to go in the graver that will do the trick.     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8696
    How about sitting it on a speaker cab while you practice some low end riffs?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    i'm surprised the suggestions have been this clean
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    vibrating definitely got it so there was only small bubbles in the mix

I should have done a dry run with the vacuum sealer... would have been better with a lid on the tub and a hole drilled in to it so as it didn't get squashed. I don't think the bubbles have got anywhere to go now, but lets see how these turn out

i also worked out that 60g of resin fills the molds nicely

I ditched this test quite quickly thanks to the squashed bag affecting the casting and pushign epoxy out of the mold.  we can see bubbles are reduced, and there are a lot less on the surface.  This would probably work fine with a coloured knob,  but can still probably be improved by changing the way I used the vaccum set-up

you can see here the bubbles were definitely on their way to the surface/bottom of the knob

The dome knobs were not far off at all

Strat knobs continue to be a challenge, but the detail on theses isn't actually that bad... might spray a coat of paint on them to see

Attempt 3

I have to remember I have a really long working time on this.

I mixed for 5 minutes. 

I then did a long pour into a small plastic bottle.  The long thin drizzle gets rid of some bubbles so we only have small ones in the bottle from big ones in the mixing cup 

I could attach the bottle ttothe vacuum sealer with a hose.  This reduced the bubbles even more.  The remaining ones were tiny

I then did a long slow pour into the mold.

Finally, that was placed carefully into the tupperware with drilled lid, and sealed in a vacuum bag.  It's enough pressure to start crushing the lid in, but the mold and resin is safely untouched inside 

I'm not going to cheat and heat this time.  It was likely a mistake to do so.

The heat will be expanding any air bubbles that are in there, as will as speeding up the cure so they have less time to escape.

Will need to be patient now. :(
    I sanded the base of one of yesterdays efforts. Buffing compound got in the bubbles, I'm not unhappy with how it looks.  Doing that purposefully with paint could be a good look

In a few days i will show the plan for drilling these, and ensuring I get nicely centered holes each time

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    Gold or silver paint rubbed in the holes to fill them up would look pretty cool.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    WezV said:
    I'm not unhappy with how it looks.  

That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the pic (before reading the text).
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8696
    It looks like woodworm. There must be a relic market for that
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited January 2022
    same with the dome knobs,  these are pretty much a usable set.  Black wax would have hid all the bubbles pretty well. This pic is to highlight them but you don't actually notice them in the hand

• Can't wait to see what results you can get.

Any interest in selling them? Not that I'm after any (maybe) but just in general. I like the idea of clear witch hat knobs with a white or silver top...
    I'm not sure yet, I need to see what sort of results I can consistently get first

I'm starting to consider things I could put in the resin too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Round 3 is much better, really happy with these.  Just some tiny bubbles in the middle of them.  The strat ones are nearly bubble free

Still have some bubbles on the top edge of these so need to pay attention to that area shortly after pouring in.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking nice! Really cool to see the evolution of the process.
    i'm still trying to figure out inserts for push fit knobs, but i do have some brass set screw ones that I can use with the dome knobs.

So I have drilled out the clear ones from yesterday and  we have our first working set of cast resin knobs

Issues.
    They were only cast yesterday, so still a little soft and have gone cloudy from working on them too soon.  I will wait a few days before polishing them up again

The insert is bang on center, but the recess so they sit over a washer isn't.  Wouldn't matter on a solid coloured knob.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    How did you hold them steady when drilling out the centre?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    How did you hold them steady when drilling out the centre?
    I use a very simple jig with a few holes in it.

1st drill 2 holes going halfway through the jig, full diameter of the knob
    In one of those holes drill a centre hole to the diameter of your pot shaft/insert
    In the other drill the base recess diameter close to the full width of the knob

the first drill hole gives you a handy center point for the next 2

Pop knob in hole, flip over jig, drill.

works well for 1" knobs like the gibson and fender ones, but the dome knobs are 18mm and I don't have a drill for that. I used a 19mm spade bit and taped the knobs up to size..., but that is why the recess ended up off center

edited January 2022
    Now the fun can begin.

For this torty set I  mixed up an Amber,  red/brown and brown mix.  I degassed it all in the vacuum bag and let it sit for about 40 mins, to the point its just starting to get thicker.

I initially mixed the 3 colours in the mixing tub, getting a nice tortoishell pattern.  When I poured that into the mold, the pattern disappeared.  So I added some more  black brown at this point and gently swirled it through the molds with a toothpick.

Slightly worried this could add a lot more bubbles, but let's see what happens.  Back into the vacuum bag it goes

If this works I may be able to cast my own tortoishel plate material.