Jimmie Vaughan Masterclass

What's Hot
Now this is how you play guitar :)

'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14214
    tFB Trader
    I like JV - some good cool stuff - Thanks for posting this - Seen 5 mins now - will watch more shortly
  • I like JV - some good cool stuff - Thanks for posting this - Seen 5 mins now - will watch more shortly
    You're welcome. JV is one of those players that bring me home when I lose my way.
    tFB Trader
    I like JV - some good cool stuff - Thanks for posting this - Seen 5 mins now - will watch more shortly
    You're welcome. JV is one of those players that bring me home when I lose my way.
    I know you can't compare JV to SRV - I'm a fan of both - But overall I prefer JV - Maybe it is the more 'simple' character of the songs/style - As such I feel I can have a go at playing along with/copying his songs - Maybe as a lot of his work comes from that 50's vibe where jazz/blues/swing/rock n roll all intertwined and I'm a fan of such songs/styles
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^- forgot to add - I much prefer listening to the phrasing/licks of a tenor sax player - Often more melodic than many guitar players
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I watched a bit, haven't had chance to watch any more. A lot of poor videos of Jimmie online so it's nice to see something a bit better. 
    He is a hard sell because there is nothing flash, there are a lot of 12 bars and he hasn't got the strongest voice in the world. However, he has a certain style (as @guitars4you describes above) and of you like that then he absolutely nails it.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^- forgot to add - I much prefer listening to the phrasing/licks of a tenor sax player - Often more melodic than many guitar players
    This is exactly why JLV is a great player.  His playing breathes.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    I don't get the fuss ? It's generic clean strat tone using blues pentatonics ? 
    It's pleasant and the phrasing is decent ...but there's nothing I hear here that hasn't been done a million times before.?

It's interesting he's using a capo so much in different positions which is kinda novel...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • CaseOfAce said:
    It's pleasant and the phrasing is decent ...but there's nothing I hear here that hasn't been done a million times before.?

It's interesting he's using a capo so much in different positions which is kinda novel...
    I always ask any JLV doubters to post a vid of themselves playing the same licks.  It's deceptively simple and there's a lot of knowledge under those fingers.  If you want JLV's more fiery stuff you need the T-Birds records.
    CaseOfAce said:

I watched a bit, haven't had chance to watch any more. A lot of poor videos of Jimmie online so it's nice to see something a bit better. 
    He is a hard sell because there is nothing flash, there are a lot of 12 bars and he hasn't got the strongest voice in the world. However, he has a certain style (as @guitars4you describes above) and of you like that then he absolutely nails it.  
    I think people don't get it. I'm not even sure I can explain what 'it' is but he has an economy of style and incorporates 1950s rhythm and blues and old Texas blues into something both absolutely faithful to those traditions but without just slavish recreation. And he was an absolute rhythm machine back in the FTs; again they paid homage to those styles but added their own twists.     
    Certainly compared to so many 'white cat with a strat' type players ( to quote Bob Margolin) Jimmie is a different kettle of fish. Listen to, say, Joe Bonamssa interpreting an old blues and he plays rock licks, leaves no space, has no sense of the musical conversation.        

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3537
    CaseOfAce said:

I think people don't get it. I'm not even sure I can explain what 'it' is but he has an economy of style and incorporates 1950s rhythm and blues and old Texas blues into something both absolutely faithful to those traditions but without just slavish recreation. And he was an absolute rhythm machine back in the FTs; again they paid homage to those styles but added their own twists.     
    Certainly compared to so many 'white cat with a strat' type players ( to quote Bob Margolin) Jimmie is a different kettle of fish. Listen to, say, Joe Bonamssa interpreting an old blues and he plays rock licks, leaves no space, has no sense of the musical conversation.        

Plus nine wiz'es 

Bonamassa is not a blues player; he's his own rock thing.

I'd point people towards Little Charlie Baty (rip), Ronnie Earl, Anson Funderburgh
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1930
    For a long time I thought Stevie was a better player than Jimmy but as time has gone on I realise just how good Jimmy is. His economy of style and laid back blues is the antithesis of Stevie's all out no-nonsense style of playing. Both great and both different. Must have been a blast growing up together (although they fought like cat and dog apparently).

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3537
    Jimmie navigates changes better than SRV, I think. 

I really liked the 'Strange Pleasure' album.
    Greatape said:
    Jimmie navigates changes better than SRV, I think. 

I really liked the 'Strange Pleasure' album.
    I love Strange Pleasure (ooh err missus...) although it sits as the obvious transition album now between the FTs and what became his solo style rather than a new direction in itself. The organ trio plus gospel vocals approach was new to me and having no bass guitar again helps lifts it out of the blues rock idiom. Amazing list of supporting musicians and co-writers..

Greatape said:
    CaseOfAce said:

Plus nine wiz'es 

Bonamassa is not a blues player; he's his own rock thing.

I'd point people towards Little Charlie Baty (rip), Ronnie Earl, Anson Funderburgh

I'd throw in James Hunter as well, not necessarily for the guitar playing and probably not even in the category of Blues but for someone coming from that 50s/ 60s RnB vibe with more of a vocal lead approach. Straight from the deep South of Essex.  

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    I always wonder how many people think it's John Lee Hooker playing guitar on Boom Boom Boom.....when its actually Jimmie Vaughan throughout, with JLH just playing the repeating riff. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    JV is one of my favourite blues guitarists - someone who seems to understand, respect, and pay homage to, the heritage of the genre.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Well impressed with what I saw there but I'm confused as to the lack of a Bassist. I can here Bass notes. Is the Organ player providing the Bass Notes?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    tFB Trader
    Well impressed with what I saw there but I'm confused as to the lack of a Bassist. I can here Bass notes. Is the Organ player providing the Bass Notes?
    yes - Matt Schofield often does likewise - Common in some forms of blues/jazz 
    Well impressed with what I saw there but I'm confused as to the lack of a Bassist. I can here Bass notes. Is the Organ player providing the Bass Notes?
    yes - Matt Schofield often does likewise - Common in some forms of blues/jazz 
    IIRC Jimmie’s argument is that the attack on the note of a bass guitar is similar to that on the guitar so a non guitar instrument playing the bass lines is less in the way (something like that). 
    Certainly the Strange Pleasure album had a distinct sound with the organ trio plus vocals approach.