Rotary pickup switch help please

What's Hot
I have a GSP 3 P90 SG and its not complete as I dont get on with a Gibson switch and a blend pot, so Im considering a rotary switch for pickup selection. Id like to do “Strat” switching if possible..eg a 5 way with a master volume
Can anyone advise which rotary switch I will need and a schematic please, all I can find is for humbuckers and coil taps?
Thanks!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    A 2-pole 5-way should be all you need I think. Use one pole for neck and bridge and the other for the middle pickup.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited January 2022
    Schaller does rotary versions of some of their Megaswitch models. These occupy a fair amount of space. The fit into an SG control cavity could prove tricky. Schaller Megaswitch schematic wiring diagrams are readily available on their website.

paulnb57 said:
     “Strat” switching … 5 way with a master volume
    IMO, the middle P90 on its own will not sound as good as the bridge and neck pair combined in parallel. i.e. The conventional middle position. 

My preference would be the Peter Frampton circuit.

Bridge and Neck pickups to three-way 
    toggle selector, through lower volume and tone controls.

Centre pickup directly to upper volume and tone controls.

All signals then pass to the output jack.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Of course with a rotary selector you can have any combination of pickups you like
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thanks chaps!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Given that the standard configuration for a 2-pole rotary switch is 6-way - you get 5 with a movable stop - I would definitely wire it for all 6 settings, the neck + bridge is too good not to have on a P90 guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    ICBM said:
    Given that the standard configuration for a 2-pole rotary switch is 6-way - you get 5 with a movable stop - I would definitely wire it for all 6 settings, the neck + bridge is too good not to have on a P90 guitar.
    Good point! All I need to know now is how to wire it

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    paulnb57 said:

Good point! All I need to know now is how to wire it
    Easy - connect both the centre ‘common’ terminals to the volume pot, then in each of the selected positions, the pickup or two pickups you want.

You can use a multimeter with a beep test to confirm which terminals are active in each position if you need to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein