Wireless headphone DIY (sort of )

What's Hot
I was thinking of getting one of the cheap wireless (Lekato / Getaria) systems from Amazon and attaching it to a 6.35mm female to 3.5mm adaptor  to get wireless headphones, I would plug the transmitter into the pedal board out and the receiver into the 6.35 / 3.5 mm headphone adaptor and then into the headphone socket. Apart from the added headphone weight is there anything I haven't considered and would it work. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    If it's a guitar wireless system then there's 2 problems I can think off

One side of your cans won't work because the wireless is mono and to power headphones at rough decent level you need about 100mW  .... most receivers are line level and designed for voltage transfer with tiny amounts of actual power, so you would probably need a headphone amp, after the receiver. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited January 2022
    Jono111 said:
    I was thinking of getting one of the cheap wireless (Lekato / Getaria) systems from Amazon and attaching it to a 6.35mm female to 3.5mm adaptor  to get wireless headphones, I would plug the transmitter into the pedal board out and the receiver into the 6.35 / 3.5 mm headphone adaptor and then into the headphone socket. Apart from the added headphone weight is there anything I haven't considered and would it work. 
    I don't think it would be capable of driving headphones.

Edit: I think you'd need to plug the receiver into something like this to power the phones.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    I haven't tried it personally (I have the Lekato 5.8) but @Danny1969 is right, the wireless systems are mono. You might get one side in your headphones or you might get both but they won't be stereo.
    What I did was get two TaoTronics Bluetooth receiver/transmitters and plug one in to the amp headphone out and the other in to my headphones. Worked perfectly except for... the lag. The Bluetooth lag made it unusable so I ended up buying a 5m headphone extension cable instead.

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited January 2022
    Why not buy the Lekato stereo 2.4GHz system? You will also need one double-ended stereo female 3.5mm socket, like these, so that your headphones can connect to the receiver.

This setup works, I know, because a deaf friend wanted wireless headphones and I used just this setup and she is delighted that she can now listen to her radio all around her flat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    Whistler said:
    Why not buy the Lekato stereo 2.4GHz system? You will also need one double-ended stereo female 3.5mm socket, like these, so that your headphones can connect to the receiver.

This setup works, I know, because a deaf friend wanted wireless headphones and I used just this setup and she is delighted that she can now listen to her radio all around her flat.
    Oo, nice spot! Didn't know they did these.
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    Whistler said:

That would work nicely. I had forgotten about the mono side of things. Thanks all.
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    Argh, my powered bluetooth / 3.5mm headphones don't work with the 3.5mm jack when powered on, they go straight to Bluetooth. Back to the drawing board.