Bass Strings

Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1936
Why do some bass strings have fabric wound into the end that attaches to the tuners. I need to change the strings on my one and only bass and not sure what that's all about. Never restrung it before and I bought it second hand. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Sometimes it's to identify the brand; sometimes to the construction - flatwounds almost always have it because flat strings really don't grip tuning posts very well and unwind; sometimes tradition.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1936
    Sometimes it's to identify the brand; sometimes to the construction - flatwounds almost always have it because flat strings really don't grip tuning posts very well and unwind; sometimes tradition.
    Thanks @fretmeister That makes sense. What's a decent make of bass strings do you think?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    There's loads of options.

Flatwounds are quite traditional on a Precision, but if it's your only bass I'd stick with rounds and get used to using the tone control.

I like loads of different strings brands

At the moment I have Dunlop Steel roundwounds on my Sandberg Jazz and they really suit it.

On my P bass I have Dunlop Flatwounds. I used to be a complete Thomastik TI flats obsessive but I fancied a change and love these, but if I only had 1 bass then I'd have roundwounds on it too. I have the Dunlop flats on my Ibby EHB fan fret and on my Ibby Mezzo medium scale basses as well.

Nickelplated strings are the most common as they aren't quite as zingy as steels when new and they are often a little smoother to the touch, but personally I think steels lose the zingy high end quicker than nickels and then settle down better. Steels are often a little scooped in tone with a clearer low end. Excessive treble can always be EQ's out anyway.

D'addario are great for ProSteels and Nickels, Dunlop Steels and Flats, Thomastik flats.

The only 2 nickels I like are DR Strings Pure Blues, and Newtone Strings Platinum Round Cores.
    They are both roundcore so you have to be a bit more careful when installing them. Don't cut them before bending etc. The DR have a very slippery nickel plate and are easy to play. The Newtones take a different approach with a really fine wrapwire to cut down on fingernoise and harmonics leaving a more solid fundamental tone. They really do sound like they've been played in for a month or two. They do the Platinum range in steels and nickels and when the Sandberg needs new ones I'm going to try their Steel Platinums.

What bass do you have?