Squier Mustang Neck Query (crap neck!)

Hi all, I have a modded Squier Mustang. Looks nice now, but the neck is the let down. A few dead spots as you head up around the 12th fret, just not nice or inspiring to play. Fixable, or should I chance getting another neck? (I am guessing the cheap ones come from the same factory!)

Maybe one of the CV or VM Squier necks might be worth a punt? I have a VM Mustang, and the neck is noticeably better than the bog standard HH Mustang.

A very cheap guitar, so maybe not worth the effort?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    edited January 2022
    I have a cheap Chinese mustang neck here and it's not a direct fit for Fender or Squier.   

It's 22 fret with an overhang, the Squiers don't have an overhang.  It also needs a full fret dress, more so than a new squier... very rough round the edges.

I have a couple of the squier ones here.  They are thin and can be a bit bendy till settled down.... but a good fret dress and edge rolling works wonders on them.
  • WezV said:
    I have a cheap Chinese mustang neck here and it's not a direct fit for Fender or Squier.   

It's 22 fret with an overhang, the Squiers don't have an overhang.  It also needs a full fret dress, more so than a new squier... very rough round the edges.

I have a couple of the squier ones here.  They are thin and can be a bit bendy till settled down.... but a good fret dress and edge rolling works wonders on them.
    I will tackle the existing neck again! :/