Too late to correct.

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    "right from the gecko" is going to keep me giggling stupidly all weekend.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• And I'll never forget being told I was being a typically arrogant snob when I laughed at an idiot who tried to explain what the objet d'art of the exercise was. (To be fair to me, there was a colossal amount of other evidence that he was an idiot.)

What on earth did he think he was saying?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    Adam and Joe used to do a bit on their 6 Music show called "Eggcorns". 

Favourites from that were "That's put the catamonkeypigeon" and "This room looks like a bomseytit"
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    My wife uses "no great shakes" in place of "it's no skin off my nose" - I've tried to gently tell her but she won't stop saying it. 

I think the Charvel colour Specific Ocean is a pun on the Pacific/specific mixup.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577

For instance, "It's a doggy dog world" or "right from the gecko" or "escape goat" or "a bowl in a china shop."

Those are all rather excellent.. :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Roland said:
    Dr Spooner I presume
    and his wife.......Mrs Malaprop
    My wife uses "no great shakes" in place of "it's no skin off my nose" - I've tried to gently tell her but she won't stop saying it. 

I think the Charvel colour Specific Ocean is a pun on the Pacific/specific mixup.
    AFAIK No great shakes is commonplace enough - similar to No Big Deal.

(She might be on the honey-shot with that one.. :) )
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I had to suffer a dinner sitting next to a very pompous but badly educated idiot
    After a fine 5 course working dinner he had become increasingly vocal to make himself sound important and impress two very eminent people who were hosting.......
    He took it upon himself to stand up at the end and raise a toast them and their fine fayre by thanking them for the dinner and commenting that such fine food and wine left him feeling " very EFFLUENT "
    He was totally obnoxious so myself and others pissed ourselves laughing without mercy
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    Mrs rog cannot say skeleton and Jeremy. Comes out as skelington and Jeremoney. She gets awfully upset when the kids and I take the piss.
    We had a landlady in our local pub who informed the assembled company one evening that she had been to the hairdressers for a blowjob!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    Dr Spooner I presume
    Frm "I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue", a discussion about the Revd. Spooner's time at Oxford and his pastimes when there. His book was called "Care of Punts".

• From The Apprentice - It's not rocket surgery.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    rogd said:
    Mrs rog cannot say skeleton and Jeremy. Comes out as skelington and Jeremoney. She gets awfully upset when the kids and I take the piss.
    We had a landlady in our local pub who informed the assembled company one evening that she had been to the hairdressers for a blowjob!!
    Mick Huckernall 

# Would I lie To You  / Katherine Parkinson 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Ffs… just got in… asked how the meeting went… ok apparently…

then I get, not “how was your day?” Etc

but….

”how tall was Jesus?”

FML
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5416
    My favourite comes from a football club forum I'm a member of. We were discussing some proposed tactic or other and someone said "On no, we'd never do that here, it's not in our D and A."

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2022
    poopot said:
    Ffs… just got in… asked how the meeting went… ok apparently…

then I get, not “how was your day?” Etc

but….

”how tall was Jesus?”

FML
    I hate to be the bear of bad news, but I think that you've got your work cut out for you. I know, I live with a lady who raises questions from obscure places.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    I had to suffer a dinner sitting next to a very pompous but badly educated idiot
    After a fine 5 course working dinner he had become increasingly vocal to make himself sound important and impress two very eminent people who were hosting.......
    He took it upon himself to stand up at the end and raise a toast them and their fine fayre by thanking them for the dinner and commenting that such fine food and wine left him feeling " very EFFLUENT "
    He was totally obnoxious so myself and others pissed ourselves laughing without mercy
    I had a not entirely dissimilar experience where the main man of a small Engineering company (also a part-time lay preacher) was holding forth and waxing lyrical about the evils of Trade Unions to a potential group of clients  - "No time or patience for them at all. To me they're just like ... a big octopus... spreading their testicles out anywhere they can to cause trouble".

Muffled cough, shuffling of feet..awkward silence ensued.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    edited January 2022
    My wife and I intentionally use the Colin Grigson of Bad News pronunciation of "properly" (prolopy) for comedy effect. We sometimes forget and say it in front of people which can result in some odd looks. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• blobbblobb Frets: 2939
    On a bus tour of an island in Italy, the (female) guide was keen to promote the natural hot springs. Unfortunately, although her English was excellent, the accent let her down. Her version of 'Hot Beach' turned into 'You weel 'ave a great time lying on the 'Ot Beetch'.

Cue sniggers from the 9 year old with us every time she mentioned the 'ot beetch'. And cue grown men trying to hold the guffaws in response to the 9yr old. Hilarious. She couldn't figure out why every time she told us about the 'ot beetch'  the male contingent lost it. Followed by a few tut's and nudges from their other halves.  
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 365
    Mrs Fingers elderly parents have several, worst among them 'part and partial' it makes me cringe every time.
    Her Mum calls Pizza Pisa after the leaning tower too. I could go on, but I seem to be developing a headache.
  • My other half once told me something was “right up my cup of tea.”