Hermida Zen Drive 2: Does the valve actually do anything?

stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
Just acquired one of these in a trade for some gear, and haven't had a chance to try it yet. Just wondered if the valve in the pedal has much affect on the overall tone? The pedal was thrown in to sweeten the deal and so I haven't given it much attention yet.

I found an old mint Mullard ECC83 recently, which I have sat spare, so was contemplating doing an A/B when I have some spare time to get around to it. Just figured I would ask the collective wisdom of the forum before I start tinkering with it.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    edited January 2022
    Used for clipping instead of diodes.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Cheers fella, I'll take a proper look at that 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Configured as a dual diode... brings an oddly inverted meaning to the term 'diode clipping' :).

This is actually only the second example I know of with a valve used like this - the other is the Fender Performer/Roc Pro amp.

I doubt the differences between different valves will have any significant effect on the tone when used like that, but I could be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Configured as a dual diode... brings an oddly inverted meaning to the term 'diode clipping' :).

This is actually only the second example I know of with a valve used like this - the other is the Fender Performer/Roc Pro amp.

I doubt the differences between different valves will have any significant effect on the tone when used like that, but I could be wrong.
    I'm no expert, far from it, but it seems like an odd way to utilise a valve for a drive pedal. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited January 2022
    stonevibe said:

I'm no expert, far from it, but it seems like an odd way to utilise a valve for a drive pedal. 
    It has the advantage of not needing a high-voltage supply, so it can be simply inserted into the standard pedal circuit. In fact, there's no plate supply at all, it's purely the signal voltage which goes through it. It also has the unusual characteristic that if you remove the valve (or it fails), the output will get significantly louder as well as become clean...!

It's not necessarily as pointless as that sounds though - used as a clipping diode pair, the valve characteristics will determine the onset of clipping, so it's probably going to sound smoother and without that irritating 'separated' solid-state diode effect where the distorted sound seems to sit on top of the clean sound but separate from it, because the clipping is effectively switched on and off as the signal hovers around the threshold of it. The valve should have a very soft onset of clipping and so avoid that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Interesting, I’ll have to get around to plugging it in at some point.