Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Insane home fuel prices

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2022
    Voxman said:
    Pool aside, and that's down to us and in our control (eg we can just turn the heating off) it's the scale of the normal domestic costs hike that will be impacting on everyone. 

Last year we considered putting in a new more efficient gas boiler. But I'm now pleased we didn't because if gas stays this crazy in the UK, then we're better off going with an electric heat pump.

Moving is not really a serious option ... at least not at the moment. This is our forever home, and its near all our family. If at some stage we found ourselves struggling to go up and down stairs or health or financial issues arose, then it might be something to consider.  
    I would seriously consider Solar Panels to offset the heating cost if this is your forever home.  
    We looked at this a few years ago but the position of our house and unreliability of sun in UK means these wouldn't be efficient enough 're our size home.  However, Tec changes so I think we need to get an independent energy expert down to advise us. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3541
    Dav275 said:

Just to offer a different perspective. After seeing the (frightening) figures quoted here, I worked back over our last six years of home fuel costs.

It averages out that for all power, heating and cooking needs each year I have made a profit of £21 per year.

Now I realise this is unusual, in that we are off grid, have access to free firewood (apart from my time and effort to fell trees etc.), and have benefited from the original, higher rate feed in tariff payments, which will eventually end. It also does not allow for the initial cost of the kit.

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that I am increasingly glad not to be at the mercy of the large power companies, and feel that, in some cases, a different approach is worth considering.

When we started, 10 years ago, various “experts” advised us against it and suggested we should just accept the huge cost of hooking up to the grid and be normal. Now, there are three other off grid homes in various stages of planning/construction nearby.

I know this is not possible for the large majority in built up areas and older properties etc., but feel a move towards smaller scale, local generation wherever possible should be the way to go for future construction.

I'm sure the power companies are somewhat opposed to this and have the ear of govt, so I doubt measures to support this will come in easily. However, I do wonder how much energy is lost in long-, distance transmission.
  •  The struggles of heating a fucking swimming pool eh
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It does come across a bit first world problems, granted, but the price increase is proportionally the same for everyone, which I believe was the intent of the OP - not so much "poor me" as "how do people who have less than me survive"

Many won't have "turning off the heating to the swimming pool" available as a cost cutting measure, it must be said :-D
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Nitefly said:
    Greatape said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/16/energy-firms-seeking-whitehall-loans-paid-200bn-to-shareholders-since-2010

Maybe it's time to concede that a for-profit model for this industry isn't working.
    I wonder what the calorific value of shareholders is?  

We know a song about that, don’t we, children…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTn4qGHgzFE
    edited January 2022
    It does come across a bit first world problems, granted, but the price increase is proportionally the same for everyone, which I believe was the intent of the OP - not so much "poor me" as "how do people who have less than me survive"

Many won't have "turning off the heating to the swimming pool" available as a cost cutting measure, it must be said :-D
    Yup exactly this - fully expected the understandable teasing re the pool (but doesn't everyone have one? ) as we know that's a luxury and is down to us (it was here when we bought the house btw, we didn't have it put in!). 

But seriously, this type of increase is going to be crippling for a lot of people re the basics of keeping warm and having hot water - in the UK some 85% of households have gas central heating so we are way more dependent on gas supplies than most other countries, plus it can get pretty cold in the UK over the winter period.  o

Whilst needless to say I don't like it, we can cope with it (at least for now) but will still have to economise more on our fuel usage. That's whilst we're working though - but in retirement in the next year or two, that's another issue. 

Whilst the Gov is trying to encourage non-fossil based alternatives the problem with things like heat pumps, aside from initial costs, is that they are counter-intuitive. They need ambient temperature to generate heat but hows that gonna work when the temperature is -5 degrees!!?? Ditto solar panels - our sunshine is erratic, unpredictable & infrequent at the best of times.  It's winter where folk get the costs, not the summer (well apart from their swimming pools of course! lol 3)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Mine was in jest, but I wanted it to come across as more Jack Dee style than Rob Brydon
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Cool, clearly the venue for the next get-together jam is sorted: Guitarists in Speedos chez @Voxman ;

Better warn the neighbours now...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    Pool aside, and that's down to us and in our control (eg we can just turn the heating off) it's the scale of the normal domestic costs hike that will be impacting on everyone. 

Last year we considered putting in a new more efficient gas boiler. But I'm now pleased we didn't because if gas stays this crazy in the UK, then we're better off going with an electric heat pump.

Moving is not really a serious option ... at least not at the moment. This is our forever home, and its near all our family. If at some stage we found ourselves struggling to go up and down stairs or health or financial issues arose, then it might be something to consider.  
    Hang on, you've got a fudging swimming pool and you are moaning about energy prices?!?!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Hang on, you've got a fudging swimming pool and you are moaning about energy prices?!?!
    Read the thread including @Voxman 's reply...

"Many won't have "turning off the heating to the swimming pool" available as a cost cutting measure, it must be said Yup exactly this - fully expected the understandable teasing re the pool (but doesn't everyone have one?  ) as we know that's a luxury and is down to us (it was here when we bought the house btw, we didn't have it put in!).   

But seriously, this type of increase is going to be crippling for a lot of people re the basics of keeping warm and having hot water - in the UK some 85% of households have gas central heating so we are way more dependent on gas supplies than most other countries, plus it can get pretty cold in the UK over the winter period.  o"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Kittyfrisk ; ;)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    ^ Just pointing out what woz writted  :)
  • Might start another thread on this if this becomes too much of a thr we hijacking, but what are people's thoughts/experiences with solar panels?

It's something I've been considering and am in the early stages of getting quotes etc. I'm doing it as much for my desire to reduce my carbon footprint as the desire to reduce to bills, but obviously with the crazy recent price rises in the energy market, I'm kinda getting more tempted.

Anyone here done it? And do you do you just have panels, or does anyone have panels + storage battery? 
  • There are two kinds of solar panels, photo voltaic and the ones that heat water and via a heat exchanger fill the hot water tank.
    My mother had the latter and did help cut the cost of gas heating in the winter. Even with reduced day light hours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    The Royal Family is trying to help UK energy consumption by burning all Prince Andrew’s personal correspondence from 2000. 

*nicked from The News Quiz. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • re swimming pool. only heat the lane you are actually swimming in, and put on two extra jumpers before you dive in.... no need to thank me.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    re swimming pool. only heat the lane you are actually swimming in, and put on two extra jumpers before you dive in.... no need to thank me.
    Sadly, it's not big enough for lanes - but otherwise that would have been a brilliant idea!bumpbump 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    re swimming pool. only heat the lane you are actually swimming in, and put on two extra jumpers before you dive in.... no need to thank me.
    we came for the guitar chat, but it's priceless advice like this that keeps us all coming back. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Well SSE have calculated our bill will be £477 a month for gas and electric and have offered it as a tariff. Fuck that I've just turned off the boiler and will pay for what I use. Which won't be a lot :) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    VimFuego said:
    Well, I feel sure that the government will have the best interests of the population at heart and so will bring in some sort of subsidy to help ease the price of fuel...
    I have switched off the heating to the servants quarters. Should do the trick.
    You spoil them Master
    We heat the Ballroom wing by throwing a few of them on the fire
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom