Yamaha Magicstomp - Any love for this hidden gem here?

What's Hot
Shangalang1Shangalang1 Frets: 36
I love this pedal - not only for the Holdsworth sounds but for the reverbs/delays in general. A volume pedal is a must though! 

I run it in stereo through this rig (excuse the mess!). Everything else on the board is routed through the HX Stomp and into the front. FX send from the Mesa Mark V:25 into the input of the stomp, R output into FX return of the Mesa and L output into FX return of the H&K head (basically slaving the H&K head for it's power section, using the Mesa pre-amp sound). Absolutely killer!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    I've been curious precisely because of the Holdsworth sound but have never seen one in the wild nor found a reasonably priced one.
  • I've been curious precisely because of the Holdsworth sound but have never seen one in the wild nor found a reasonably priced one.
    There are a few I have seen on eBay/Facebook Marketplace that are cheap but have no original power supply (lots of dodgy ones floating about!). They usually say something along the lines of "I've powered it up with a different power supply and it works" or "I don't know if this works". 

I got mine for £130 with original power supply, USB cable and CD. The previous owner even put the Holdsworth patches on it for me, which mitigated the risk of me messing up and bricking it. If you can find one for less than £150, I say go for it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    There's a nice one on the bay at the moment.
    £100 starting bid or £150 BIN.
    All complete. Seller says it's unused.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got two Magicstomp’s ( and two ud stomps . And a dg80 . And a 1000 pre amp). 
    Holdsy used something like 6 in his live right towards the end. He used the lead I with para eq(with a boost in front ) for the overdrive sound and the same sound with the gain down for his clean sound. 

The magicstomp nails the ud delay sounds, too ( 8 delays in any combo of series/parallel) .

I’ve seen magicstomp’s with the shadow’s echos from the past programmes on eBay for around £150, so I think it’s them that’s pushing the price up. They are powered by an ac supply, so you can find them cheap as spares or repair (as they’ll power on and show light in the screen with a dc power, but not work). Also, if you can update them, the acoustic stomp and bass stomp can be overwritten with the guitar magicstomp settings.
  • I've tried to get one on eBay a few times but I never wanted to go above 80 quid. 

I've not tried for ages and I probably won't now if prices are up towards 150
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • barrykbarryk Frets: 1
    edited January 2022
    In case anyone is interested I have two Magicstomp UB99 MK2's (v 2.1 firmware) for sale at £85 plus £5 postage (UK only) They are slightly road-worn - a few scuffs and scratches - but have been completly overhauled and had new displays and power section capacitors fitted and should now be ok for a good few years yet!  Complete with power supplies and copies of the original Yamaha editor CD.  For more information please leave me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I had both a UD Stomp and a Magicstomp at different times. The Magicstomp sounded great to me for various fx uses - I don't recall the spec but iirc it needed its own power supply (didn't use anything pedalboard supply friendly - or not that I could power from the common pedalboard supplies of the time anyway) 

Good unit and as folk has said, you can mix and match firmwares and patches from any of the 3 models 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Shangalang1Shangalang1 Frets: 36
    edited January 2022
    barryk said:
    In case anyone is interested I have two Magicstomp UB99 MK2's (v 2.1 firmware) for sale at £85 plus £5 postage (UK only) They are slightly road-worn - a few scuffs and scratches - but have been completly overhauled and had new displays and power section capacitors fitted and should now be ok for a good few years yet!  Complete with power supplies and copies of the original Yamaha editor CD.  For more information please leave me a message.
    Hey @barryk I might be interested in the future. Don't want to have 6 like Holdsworth used to but an extra one would be handy at some point.

Are they the original power supplies? £85 is a steal!!

Just to clarify... That is each right? ;)
  • barrykbarryk Frets: 1
    They have good quality replacement power supplies (OEM AA-121AD) which are very reliable - probably at least as reliable as the original ones.  Yes, £85 each plus £5 postage.  As I said, they do have some scratches and scuffs but otherwise they are good.
  • Is the Magicstomp the same effects as on the DG-100/80 series of amps Holdsworth used?
  • Is the Magicstomp the same effects as on the DG-100/80 series of amps Holdsworth used?
    No I don't think so. I think it shares some of the drive sounds but not the crazy 8 parallel delay stuff
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    edited January 2022
    Is the Magicstomp the same effects as on the DG-100/80 series of amps Holdsworth used?
    No I don't think so. I think it shares some of the drive sounds but not the crazy 8 parallel delay stuff
    Wow, simply having a single delay on that amp blew my tiny mind when I got it. Not sure what 8 parallel ones would have done to me
  • Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but am wondering @Shangalang1 and @guitarmangler ;, if the Magicstomp has SPX 90 patches in it? Pitch Change and Symphonic? Many thanks
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but am wondering @Shangalang1 and @guitarmangler ;, if the Magicstomp has SPX 90 patches in it? Pitch Change and Symphonic? Many thanks
    My understanding is that has a very similar Symphonic sound, but not exactly the same. Google suggests these were popular for people to pickup as they are cheaper, easier to find and fix too.

I have not used this feature myself so I can't really tell you from personal experience.

The pitch changing I have played with and is pretty good. Not dissimilar from the Harmony Man I just sold but more difficult to use.

I'm all about the delays on this, though. The AH patches are killer!
  • Thank you, appreciate that.

I think Line 6 should get these algorithms into a more modern package like the DL4 MkII.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Thank you, appreciate that.

I think Line 6 should get these algorithms into a more modern package like the DL4 MkII.
    Either that or reissue the UD Stomp!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28028
    I've still got my UD Stomp. Not the PSU though, it needs a monster 12v AC 1000mA.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Sporky said:
    I've still got my UD Stomp. Not the PSU though, it needs a monster 12v AC 1000mA.
    That's actually a common type and you can buy them for £15 ... I use them to create a 15-0-15 rail for the mic pre amp in my IEM products. 

The Magic Stomp is popular amongst Shadows players. It's a great sounding unit for the time. I've repaired a couple. The screen tends to fail which actually prevents the unit booting as it stalls because it can't detect it. Replacements are around £5. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28028
    It's a magnificent bit of kit, especially once you've got the PC editor which makes the routing less opaque. There's an amazing modulated reverb in the factory presets.

Could you point me at an appropriate PSU please? It's been years since I bought electronics bits like that. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."