Buying a 2nd hand les paul

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
So many Chibsons out there. Is buying a 2nd hand les paul best avoided?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I bought one used, it’s fine as long as you know what you are looking for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    Yes, not always easy to tell with online pics etc
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    No. That’s the wrong mindset if you ask me.

Buy from a reputable shop or if buying private and you’re not sure ask here.

There’s some good savings in the used market don’t dismiss it over fake concerns.

Just don’t buy a fake by being vigilant. Like I said ask here, spend a few hours on google to educate yourself on what’s right etc/ 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Chinese fakes are easy to spot if you're familiar with the real thing, and if you aren't then either ask for advice from someone who is or buy from a shop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10203
    Nah it’ll be fine. I bought 6 Les Pauls in 2021. All used. One from a shop, all fine. Make sure you look into them and I’m sure it won’t be an issue. 
  • I’m always studying them especially ones I like . If you have an idea about what you like eg year ,model, color ,top etc  read up on them online .  Also read up on common Chibson tell’s 
    like they said also post on here to make sure . 

Post a picture you’ve grabbed of it ,not a link in case someone beats you to it ,there are lots of lurkers and flippers on here in the shadows 
  • It's fine, fakes are mostly obvious although getting closer.

I remember threads on here talking about aliexpress les pauls and "I'll never sell it on so it doesn't matter that it's fake" and "it's a pretty good guitar". Only took a couple of years and the market is fairly flooded with them - although I think there are fewer fakes than genuine in general. 

Getting one from here is a good bet - people are vigilant to point out fakes, which are not allowed on here. I see more fakes on Facebook marketplace than ebay as well.

Lastly, guitar shops often have good second hand guitars. There is a premium to pay compared to here, for example, but there are good deals to be had. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    If you're not concerned about the name on the headstock you could look into other brands besides Gibson - The high end Epis are very good guitars and much less likely to be fakes simply because Slash/Jimmy Page/whatever never plays an Epiphone. 

There's also a ton of other brands who make LPs with varying degrees of similarity to Gibson, some make basically identical guitars, some add a few modern improvements like high fret access, headstock durability and G-string tuning fixes. 

But I understand if you're set on a Gibby, only a Gibby will suffice. 

It might be worth some links on here for people to check on the most obvious signs of a fake? I'm sure someone's made a big checklist at some point! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited January 2022
    A few things to look for in a genuine Les Paul,

The posts that hold the bridge in place will not be slotted on a USA Gibson. If you see slots for a flathead screwdriver it is a fake

A USA Gibson will have "wings" on the sides of the headstock, visible from the back. The headstock is made of three pieces and a veneer

The serial number will be stamped in under the finish on a USA range Gibson as opposed to being printed on, with rare exceptions

Do ask though, I suspect fake-spotting is a sort of armchair hobby for many of us here

Edit: to add to this list, the truss rod cover should have two screws and it should be that specific Gibson shape (check their website). Also the fret ends should be completed by the binding (nibs). If the frets go over the top of the binding it is likely a fake
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited January 2022
    Loathe as I am to acknowledge another forum, the Les Paul Forum covers this in great (sometimes rather too much) detail. There's a lot of Les Paul knowledge there, but be wary of going down that rabbit hole. 
  • sergiosergio Frets: 116
    edited January 2022
    If you are considering buying a new Les Paul Standard, it seems like they are considerably cheaper in Europe at €2299 - and that is with new year's pricing increase. At current exchange rate that is roughly £1940, add ~20% VAT return and you end up with a price not far off from a used one in the UK. Of course, you need to travel there for this, but the savings can pay for a short vacation.

New guitar + vacation. Win-win
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10203
    edited January 2022
    PLOP said:
    That’s an interesting username you’ve got there. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    Where do you Live..?

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
    Bad fakes are easy to spot.  If it's a really really really good fake it's probably worth more than a Gibson anyway :)  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1409
    Is there a big problem between fakes being passed off as genuine as opposed to being "a chibson" or "copy"?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    Are we going to address the elephant in the room here? Not one person has mentioned that you can tell it’s real because it’ll be built better and play better than any knock off…..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFish said:
    Is there a big problem between fakes being passed off as genuine as opposed to being "a chibson" or "copy"?

Yes, there are a lot out there on ebay and Facebook marketplace. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    More sergio said:
    If you are considering buying a new Les Paul Standard, it seems like they are considerably cheaper in Europe at €2299 - and that is with new year's pricing increase. At current exchange rate that is roughly £1940, add ~20% VAT return and you end up with a price not far off from a used one in the UK. Of course, you need to travel there for this, but the savings can pay for a short vacation.

New guitar + vacation. Win-win
    With Duty & VAT add 23% if we are being realistic. Also some retailers or banks charge a currency fee. Usually about £20 ish. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    NelsonP said:
    Here's one. Looks like a Chibson to me....
    Why?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein