Sad dad bands

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    edited January 2022
    rlw said:
    Whenever some says they don't like country or Americana, I play them Live at Liberty Lunch by Joe Ely.

I don't like country or Americana.  I don't like saxophones either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Whitecat said:
    They're the kind of bands that ross from friends would like.
    Nah, RfF is a bit electronic compared to these ones... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_from_Friends

=) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    The only band on the list I have never heard of is Everclear. As for the others, I like some of the bands now, liked some of them in the past but not so keen on them now, some of them I think I probably should like but don't, and others that have simply passed me by.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    rlw said:
    Snap said:
    Some of you lot are weird. Guitarists and bassists who don't really know these bands, especially ones like REM, The Pixies and Pearl Jam. I think you are making it up. All three have released stock in the canon songs over the years that I would have thought would be on the roster for most of us fret spankers?

and I like Americana
    I actually like country 
    and western

yeehaw mothertruckers!

Whenever some says they don't like country or Americana, I play them Live at Liberty Lunch by Joe Ely.

Why? It's hardly likely to change anyone's mind.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26926
    I quite like a bit of good country & americana. That wasn't it imo...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    rlw said:
    None of the above.  Apart from REM and Pearl Jam I don't know any songs by any of them.

When is said dad bands I was thinking Santana, Rolling Stones etc, not a bunch of kids....
    Exactly what I thought.....Led Zep, Free, Deep Purple etc 
    but ,thinking about it ,they are Sad Grandad bands ......
    My Grandparents liked Bing Crosby , Vera Lynne, FatsWaller, Glen Miller ........which seemed positively antique to me when I was young and listening to T Rex etc .........I guess that sounds equally antique to youngsters now
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18679
    Philly_Q said:
    rlw said:

Is a saxophone someone that loves sax?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Ironically I've listened to more than half of these bands, even saw Wilco & the National live but dont resemble any of those descriptions.

Fuck having kids
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    edited January 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    rlw said:

Is a saxophone someone that loves sax?
    Maybe.  In that case I'm a saxophobe.

I guess she's a saxophone.  She goes on about it enough:

Sax song - Wikipedia
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    What's with sad dads wearing shorts in the winter? 
    Is it just round here, there's loads of them? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pearl Jam realised their first record in 1991 Father John Misty released his first record in 2012 - for that reason and many others I dont think you can lump these acts in any other category than they're American and feature guitar player to a greater or lesser extent......

I love FJM and have enjoyed many Wilco records. Pearl Jam, Pixies, REM etc are 90's alt bands and should be avoided at all costs.

The article really made me laugh, I am a dad though I am not any of those people - there are lots of other reasons why I definitely sad. 

I am ok with it. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    What's with sad dads wearing shorts in the winter? 
    Is it just round here, there's loads of them? 
    I've noticed this everywhere all of a sudden ..........really weird , as if some kind of a 'I'm hard ,me ' type of machismo
    It does tend to be middle aged men but apparently it's a Postman thing.
    My friend is a postie .....he doesn't wear shorts and lads at the sorting office all take the piss as if he is weedy ........the irony is that he is an ex -semi pro boxer and MMA fighter
  • To be fair shorts are often just more comfortable for moving around in. I don't find it's my legs that get cold, but my arms, upper body, and face
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    I've head of them all, I'm just nota fan of any of them. 

I suspect they will survive that.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Pearl Jam realised their first record in 1991 Father John Misty released his first record in 2012 - for that reason and many others I dont think you can lump these acts in any other category than they're American and feature guitar player to a greater or lesser extent......

I love FJM and have enjoyed many Wilco records. Pearl Jam, Pixies, REM etc are 90's alt bands and should be avoided at all costs.

The article really made me laugh, I am a dad though I am not any of those people - there are lots of other reasons why I definitely sad. 

I am ok with it. 
    Pixies and REM are very much 80s alternative
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Snap said:
    Some of you lot are weird. Guitarists and bassists who don't really know these bands, especially ones like REM, The Pixies and Pearl Jam. I think you are making it up. All three have released stock in the canon songs over the years that I would have thought would be on the roster for most of us fret spankers?

and I like Americana
    I actually like country 
    and western

yeehaw mothertruckers!
    What do you mean by "on the roster"?

While I agree "canon" songs exist (Imagine / Bo Rap etc etc) I don't think any of those bands get anywhere close. Chart dominance is not the only part (not that I recall any of them other than REM charting in the UK) but it needs to get into other forms of popular culture.

For example - Without 'Independence Day' I doubt I would be able to recognise REM's end of the world song.

In my youth, if it didn't get played on Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show then I both didn't listen to it, and didn't care I hadn't.
    REM are a massive band and have done a couple of what I would say are more or less modern classic tracks that I would think most people who are into music would know. Losing My Religion, Everybody Hurts, End of The World.

Pearl Jam - a slightly huge first album, that again I would have thought most guitarists would at least be familiar with. 

Pixies - a seminal band really. Monkey's Gone to Heaven?

Not saying you have to like them, but just surprised people saying they don't know them. 

Tommy Vance's rock show! Yep, remember listening to that with my mum back in the day. 

The National are good - High Violet is a quality album, no filler on there. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Philly_Q said:
    rlw said:

Not keen on saxophones myself except in Roxy Music.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Reverend said:
    Pearl Jam realised their first record in 1991 Father John Misty released his first record in 2012 - for that reason and many others I dont think you can lump these acts in any other category than they're American and feature guitar player to a greater or lesser extent......

I am ok with it. 
    Pixies and REM are very much 80s alternative
    Sorry - yes - your completely right. REM were well established in the 80's now I think about it - I guess what I was thinking was - in my mind at least - there was a group of older kids in my school/college who were into those American alt bands and had the names of bands like pixies, REM and Pearl Jam written on their bags etc....

Also can I say your comment about the bands surviving you knowing them but not being a fan made me lol. 

• rlw said:
    Philly_Q said:
    rlw said:

Not keen on saxophones myself except in Roxy Music.
    Is that Bobby Keys?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited January 2022
    Even if all the posters who claim ignorance of these bands are that blinkered and haven’t read a magazine, watched a festival or TV programme (Jools etc) that’s featured these bands….

I bet most are aware of the Jeff Tweedy signature SG that was released in 2012, a lovely frost blue? colour with long lyre vibrato and a natural neck like Melody maker SG’s - well he’s in Wilco. 
    Previously known as stevebrum