Noise Gate Pedal Placement?

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
After a buzzy gig (singles coils plus loud on-stage volume plus overdrive pedals), I am getting a noise reduction pedal. 
It'll be either the Boss NS2 or the very similar but much cheaper Behringer version, both with send and return as well as in/ out.

So, my understanding is that the pedal ideally wants to go after the gainy stuff, where it will reduce the unwanted noise they generate, but before things like reverb/ delay, so as not to unpleasantly chop off the end of reverb tails etc.

Easy so far, if you have all your pedals in one chain. But I put my time/ modulation pedals into my FX loop, with the gainy stuff straight into the front end, as I believe those people who, unlike me, actually know what they are talking about call it.

So, where does the noise gate pedal go in such a set up? Or should I use the send/ return loop that the pedal itself offers? If so, why? What does that even do?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    edited January 2022
    I use a Fortin Zuul - goes in the loop before delays, but has a feed from the signal going into the front of the amp so it knows when to kick in.

When I used a NS2 I put all the gain stuff in its loop in front of the amp, but I was not using amp gain for that setup, just pedals.

Edit: - lots of ways to set the NS2 up:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The best for the ns2 is the x pattern where you use the guitar to trigger the loop, and have either the amp or pedal in said loop. Last diagram in the above link.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Literally just sorted this with an NS2 - don’t know how I went without one for so long. X method is your way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks all. X method seems the unanimous winner.

Advice is much appreciated!

now, if only the Amazon dude hadn’t lost my noise gate pedal in transit….darn it.

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    They do also say do all you can to eliminate hum at source (clean power, isolation, shielding) before - or as well as - putting a gate in. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    They do also say do all you can to eliminate hum at source (clean power, isolation, shielding) before - or as well as - putting a gate in. 
    Good call, thanks.  Clean power is definitely lacking in my set up. Time for investment in upgrades, I think.

• viz said:
    Good call, thanks.  Clean power is definitely lacking in my set up. Time for investment in upgrades, I think.
    If you narrow it down to one pedal in particular, this could be a cheap solution https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/joyo-zgp-guitar-effect-pedal-filter-isolated-output-power ;
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 93
    edited January 2022
    After a buzzy gig (singles coils plus loud on-stage volume plus overdrive pedals), I am getting a noise reduction pedal. 
    It'll be either the Boss NS2 or the very similar but much cheaper Behringer version, both with send and return as well as in/ out.

So, my understanding is that the pedal ideally wants to go after the gainy stuff, where it will reduce the unwanted noise they generate, but before things like reverb/ delay, so as not to unpleasantly chop off the end of reverb tails etc.

Easy so far, if you have all your pedals in one chain. But I put my time/ modulation pedals into my FX loop, with the gainy stuff straight into the front end, as I believe those people who, unlike me, actually know what they are talking about call it.

So, where does the noise gate pedal go in such a set up? Or should I use the send/ return loop that the pedal itself offers? If so, why? What does that even do?

HI all. After the gain. If you're using pedals for gain you can stick them in the loop of the pedal - if it has one. If not, put in the amp FX loop. If you use reverb / delay, put the gate *before* them as the gate will cut off some of those nice repeats / trails.

BTW - if you're interested I have a TC Sentry going spare that has a built-in loop. It's a pretty good gate. PM me if so.
  • viz said:
    If you narrow it down to one pedal in particular, this could be a cheap solution https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/joyo-zgp-guitar-effect-pedal-filter-isolated-output-power ;
    I actually use one of these in my board straight after the USB power bank - it does a grand job of cleaning the noisy-as-hell power delivery from it. I actually have two delay pedals hanging off it (Flashback v2 and Keeley Eccos), so you don't necessarily have to limit it to one pedal after the ZGP.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 93
    edited January 2022
    viz said:

Truth. This is a why I have the Sentry going spare. I sorted my issue with power and shielding the inside of my strat. If you play super-hi-gain type stuff you may still need a gate though. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I've used my ns2 set up with the advanced X method for years and it honestly unbelievable how silent my rig is. There is no hum what so ever. Love it.  

I play high gain rock music.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited January 2022
    Out of interest, does the placement depend on whether the problem is with the gain pedals or with the guitar? Because gain pedals will presumably only amplify what noise is already there, so noise in results in larger noise out?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • T.AvonT.Avon Frets: 25
    Out of interest, does the placement depend on whether the problem is with the gain pedals or with the guitar? Because gain pedals will presumably only amplify what noise is already there, so noise in results in larger noise out?
    Yes, but I think for most people if you place it with gain pedals in the loop this will cut guitar and pedal noise. 

As long as you’re playing the gate is open so it only cuts out noise when you’re not playing. Picking up 50hz hum as you’re playing will always be there. There are obviously dummy coil and other pickup solutions for that issue.

• I used to use one as my 1st pedal and always on.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!