SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Problems sending kit from the UK to the Republic of Ireland.

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
In the past number of weeks a member [UK based] here tried on two occasions to send me [I live in the Republic of Ireland] a small bit of guitar equipment.  But in both cases the package was returned to him.  Technical issues about customs or something like that.  Directly as a result of Brexit.

I can only applaud the member on his tenacity in attempting to resend the package.  Absolutely not his fault that we had to abort the deal.  One can only hope that through time, the customs situation between the UK and the EU will settle down.  I know that other goods are equally affected, it is impossible to import roses or lavender plants from the UK to ROI.  In pre Brexit days, this was not a problem but it is now.

There are not many ROI members on this forum, but all we can do is gaze longingly at kit in the classifieds that interests us and with prices that we can afford.  It only begs the question: who has won in the Brexit debate? 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    Bit of a pain - but the only foolproof way I have come across is to find a tame recipient in NI, and get them to hold it until somebody is passing that way. I've bought two guitars, and a small bag of assorted hardware, off members here that way, and also received a couple of original Gibson control knobs for an LPJ kindly gifted by a member here :)

Longer winded and takes more patience - but cheaper postage rates/no VAT and no hassle with customs. It can be done..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    Yes you just need to attach a customs form to send items outside the UK now. Not difficult but a bit of a drag nonetheless:

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/customs-forms

No winners as far as I can see. At least from my layman's perspective, I'm sure there will have been some elites somewhere getting rich from it all. There was always a bit of a (far-fetched?) case for 'Lexit'- an alleged Euro-sceptic like Jeremy Corbyn for instance could see that being free from some of the EU's laws and regulations might mean a greater freedom to re-shape UK society for the better but sadly we ended up with Boris.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom